• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How can Colorado judgment collect in Virginia?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

patchen777

What is the name of your state? VA

Hi, I have a judgment placed against me in Colorado from a leasing company and it is placed there because of consent on the original lease. Other than that, I have had absolutely nothing to do with Colorado and did not understand why they placed it there. Now my question.... what can they do to me in Virginia with that judgment? Place garnishments, liens? Is there something called "domesticating it" to bring it here? and if so, will I be notified? I have offered settlement and also am trying to fight it in Colorado but really need to understand my options for the moment. Thanks so much!

Debt Guy

The answer is "yes" to all your questions. A judgment in one state can be domesticated in another state. Each state has different rules for the process but you will be served notice of the hearing. Once the judgment is domesticated, it is possible that your wages could be garnished, your bank account garnished or a lien placed on any non-exempt property you have. Each state has different guidelines for what property is exempt and what is not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">