• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How can I collect on credit card debt on my card made by someone else?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Susan Carbott

What is the name of your state? Michigan
I gave an ex-fiance' a credit card in his name on my account since his credit wasn't good enough to get his own. He agreed to use it for emergencies only. He ended up spending over $10,000 without my consent or knowledge and has been making occassional payments, but very infrequently and he still owes over $9,000 on the card and owes me about $4,000 for payments I've made for him. The card was canceled about 5 years ago when I discovered he was abusing it. How can I get rid of this responsibility to pay his debt? His credit is still not good enough to put the account in his name. I have a letter signed from him admitting responsibility for all the charges made on that account.

HomeGuru

Susan Carbott said:
What is the name of your state? Michigan
I gave an ex-fiance' a credit card in his name on my account since his credit wasn't good enough to get his own. He agreed to use it for emergencies only. He ended up spending over $10,000 without my consent or knowledge and has been making occassional payments, but very infrequently and he still owes over $9,000 on the card and owes me about $4,000 for payments I've made for him. The card was canceled about 5 years ago when I discovered he was abusing it. How can I get rid of this responsibility to pay his debt?

**A: hello, this is legally YOUR debt not his.
His credit is still not good enough to put the account in his name. I have a letter signed from him admitting responsibility for all the charges made on that account.
**A: take him to court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">