• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I freeze an account

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ausi75

What is the name of your state? NC

We have renters in NC that haven't paid since Nov 04. We have a court order for them to leave and they haven't...we are out of state and will be traveling down there shortly to meet with the sheriff to have them locked out. We also have a large judgement against them. We checked with their bank today asking about some checks that bounced last year and learned they have funds in their account. We assume they are saving for when they have to move. I would like to freeze their account. They don't have enough to cover the judgement, but I'll take something over nothing. How do I freeze their account? I've been looking through the www but can't find actual instructions. I'll take whatever help I can get. Thanks in advance.

Ladynred

You need a Writ of Execution (could be a slightly different name in NC) to levy their bank account and you have to file it with the court where the judgment is filed. You might want to get this done before the lockout - they may just take all the money and run. They are NOT notified prior to the levy, the sheriff goes to the bank with the writ and the bank turns over the money. The court holds it for a period of time (varies by state law), then the money gets turned over to you.

Ladynred

You do NOT have to wait the full 180 days. The law says you must live in the state for the greater part of the 180 days prior to filing -- so you really only need to be in FL for 91 days before you can file in FL.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">