• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I unfreeze a bank account after the creditor has been paid?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KillzBookiez

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

NEW YORK

My mother recently had her bank account frozen from a lingering debt. She withdrew funds from her 401k in order to pay the debt and signed the check over to the creditor firm. Her bank account has remained frozen for almost 2 weeks. She insists the people at the creditor law firm are supposed to get back to her with the information to unfreeze her account. I suggested that they are not the ones to rely upon. What steps can she take (paperwork, etc.) to get this bank account unfrozen asap?

You Are Guilty

She needs to make a motion to compel the court to file a "satisfaction of judgment". Call your courthouse and ask for the pro se clerk, and then ask how such a motion is filed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">