• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How Do Judgements Show Up on Credit Report?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

veger

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

I understand that if a landlord evicts a tenant through civil court, the eviction and monetary judgement (past due rent) eventually show up on the tenant's credit report.

My question is: What organization reports those judgements to the credit bureaus? And since I understand most evictions do not reference the tenants social security number, how CAN these judgements be referenced to the social security number that is the key identifier that the credit bureaus use?

Banned_Princess

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

I understand that if a landlord evicts a tenant through civil court, the eviction and monetary judgement (past due rent) eventually show up on the tenant's credit report.

My question is: What organization reports those judgements to the credit bureaus? And since I understand most evictions do not reference the tenants social security number, how CAN these judgements be referenced to the social security number that is the key identifier that the credit bureaus use?
you have to be a subscriber to the 3 credit agencies. or just one, but then thats the only one its reported on.

normal people and the courts do not / cannot report to the bureaus. the LL, for example, may have it on your application...

credit collectors and lawyers are people commonly reporting to credit agencies.

yes they need your SS#, but thats not as hard to get as you think. the LL may have it on file. it doesn't need to be on the court docs.

you will note the add on this page buying judgments. thats because its not easy to collect on a civil judgment of any kind. regular people just don't have the same tools as professionals. its a well oiled machine the law is.

veger

Thanks for the response. What does "LL" stand for?

Are you saying lawyers and credit collectors get all judgements from the courthouse on a regular basis to report to the credit agencies? Or only the judgements they're collecting on?

In other words, if nobody attempts to collect on a judgement, then does that judgement ever show up on the debtor's credit report?

Banned_Princess

Thanks for the response. What does "LL" stand for?
LandLord.

Are you saying lawyers and credit collectors get all judgements from the courthouse on a regular basis to report to the credit agencies? Or only the judgements they're collecting on?
only the ones they are working on. and whatever ones they want to.

In other words, if nobody attempts to collect on a judgement, then does that judgement ever show up on the debtor's credit report?
its reportable for up to 20 years if the awardee renews the judgment periodically.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">