• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to garnish wages

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

legalsurfer

What is the name of your state?CA

Hello,
Last year I won a judgement against a roommate who moved out on the second month of a lease for $1800. After several attempts to negotiate I finally decided to fly his stuff back to NJ to find out he moved. I have since gotten his new address, but now I need to find out where he works or his social security number to garnish his wages(after I settle the judgement in NJ). I have no idea what legal recourses I have to get this information outside of just asking him upfront, which I don't think will work. SO if anyone has an idea here that would be great. and thanksin advance for the help!

[email protected]

how to collect

I am colorado.I do know if you have a judgement you must get a witt to get your claim serve him. ect.Did you think about turning it over to a collection agency for a % they will find him get payments ect .Just a thought.

Ladynred

Since you have his address, you can get the information directly from him. You can summon him to court for a debtor's exam and he will be required to answer all of the questions about his work, his finances, his bank accounts, his assets, etc.. If you can't get him into court, then you can get the same information thru interogatories in aid of execution - served to him thru the courts. Again, he must answer or he will be in contempt and he can be arrested for that contempt.

Once you have that information, you can garnish his wages, sieze his bank accounts and anything else not covered by the NJ exemptions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">