• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how to handle a creditor-placed bank levy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

steve1945

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida.

In 2008, the Atlanta company where I worked went out of business. In quick succession, I lost my job, girlfriend, house and dogs and couldn't find new work. Tried launching a business with a few ex-colleagues (failed spectacularly) and quickly found myself under a mountain of debt. Mostly credit cards with some personal loans. At a point, depression set in and I quit trying to pay anyone anything and stopped looking at the mound of notices in the mail everyday. I moved out of Atlanta and in with family in Florida, my proverbial tail between my legs.

Flash forward to today. I started recovering about a year and half ago when a business idea I’d been working gained some traction. It continues to be a stable source of moderate income with good potential for continued growth. Several days ago, a levy was placed on all four of my accounts (two checking, two savings--I use two for business, two for personal). This is in relation to one of the former debts mentioned.

So at the moment, all of my money, including what I’d set aside for the tax man, is frozen. I received a notice of the levy from the bank a few days ago. My first call was to a nonprofit credit counseling group that helped me set up a repayment plan to all remaining creditors, including, as it turns out, the ones that placed the levy on my account.

So my question is what should I do now? Should I call the law firm who placed the levy and offer the repayment plan worked out with the credit counselors? Or should I call an attorney to contact this firm? If so, what sort of law should this attorney practice? Or does none of it matter, will the firm that froze the accounts just take everything in them anyway?

I’m not sure if I’m even asking the right questions here, so any help or direction will be greatly appreciated.

bdancer

The creditor has a judgment to be able to attach the bank accounts. They will take the funds from those accounts to cover the judgment. They have no incentive to accept any payment plan. You can try to negotiate a payment plan but don't expect them to accept small payments over a long period.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">