• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How long between Summons and Judgment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cana

What is the name of your state? California

Well, now Citibank of South Dakota (against which I owe $5800)has issued me a summons, dated Oct 28 but put to my door today.

How long will it take from Summons to Judgment?

My debt settlement company will try to postpone the judgment, but meanwhile I would like to know how much time I have so I could prepare for BK if things don't go according to my wishes.

I have about $3,000 plus an upside-down car loan, while the Cal exemption is $9,000 or something for renters. So if I get a judgment against it would be better for me to declare bk since I do have about $25k additional debt in addition to that.

They'll file for default judgement soon after 30 days

If you don't answer that summons it will just days after the 30 day response. At least that is what happened in mine. And I DID respond.
They were denied.

If you respond, you'd better know the format, there are links to the Pro Se affirmative defenses site here someplace.

Have you read what members say about debt settlement companies?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">