• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How much to offer prior to summary judgement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

baghead

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Arizona. My girlfriend is trying to settle up on some old credit card debts. She recently lost her father and is now able to pay off these old debts. The problem is the amount they are asking for is two to four times the original amount. These debts are four to five years old and I know that interest adds up but this just doesn't seem right. The first of these is going to have a request for "summary judgement" coming up soon and I advised to make some sort of offer before it goes any further. Any advice on actual numbers to offer would be greatly appreciated.

baghead

Numbers

An attempt at humor? Little dull around your house?
Not being familiar with the wonderful world of debt collection I thought I was asking a simple question. If the original debt was $5,000.00 should I expect to pay $10,000.00, 20,000.00 or why not $87,531.31??

baghead

Sol

When I first looked into this I thought the statute of limitations had run out but she talked to an attorney who told her that this was considered a written contract as soon as she used that credit card. I am not sure where he got his information from but everything I have read in this forum and others seems to say differently. Her demand for payment in full was four years ago and she has not made a payment or spoke to them since. The plantiff after the original summons was delivered and answered supoened the original creditor for records of: original signed contract, record of any received contact with defendent, a copy of the original contract, date of discharge, contract showing sale of debt, and copy of two years of billing. Chase bank sent back 6 months of billing, date of discharge and letter showing sale of debt. We knew there was no signed contract but were surprised to find they did not even have an original copy of the contract.
I am fully convinced that she meets the criteria for a sol dismisal. I have plenty of cases identical to hers that were found in favor of the defendent including the appelate decision in Maricopa county.
What she needs now is someone who speaks the courts language and is willing to argue this on a sol defense and who will work on commision and is willing to travel to Bullhead city Az. to appear once if necessary.
Did I mention she needs this done yesterday? She received a letter on 09/30/2010 stating the plantiff has filed for a summary judgement.
If you fit this description I guess you could reply either here or on my PMs otherwise I need a supersonic class in courtroom prudence and protocal and a bucket full of luck.
I do appreciate all the work you people put into this site and the help that you provide to those who need it but can't afford it.

Thank you

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">