• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to repond to the debt collection letter from a law firm if not owing to them?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

orchardhaha

Hi everyone,

Recently I have received a letter from a law firm which asked me to pay off the debt to a third party P. This happened two years ago, and I have explained and sent the document to P to show that I did not own this debt. But collection agencies started to chase after me since last year. I sent them the report to explain the whole staff, but it turned that the first agency transferred the debt to the next one. I ignored the letter from the 3rd agency. Not sure if the letter I received recently from the law firm was transferred by the 3rd collection agency. In the letter they claimed that I still owed the debt and urged me to pay off the full amount, otherwise I will be sued in thirty days. The third party P is in another state.

My questions are: 1). What should I do next? Should I respond to the law firm and how? 2). If finally I am sued, am I required to go to the other state where P is located? The amount has exceeded the max limit of small court in both states. Thanks!!!

quincy

Hi everyone,

Recently I have received a letter from a law firm which asked me to pay off the debt to a third party P. This happened two years ago, and I have explained and sent the document to P to show that I did not own this debt. But collection agencies started to chase after me since last year. I sent them the report to explain the whole staff, but it turned that the first agency transferred the debt to the next one. I ignored the letter from the 3rd agency. Not sure if the letter I received recently from the law firm was transferred by the 3rd collection agency. In the letter they claimed that I still owed the debt and urged me to pay off the full amount, otherwise I will be sued in thirty days. The third party P is in another state.

My questions are: 1). What should I do next? Should I respond to the law firm and how? 2). If finally I am sued, am I required to go to the other state where P is located? The amount has exceeded the max limit of small court in both states. Thanks!!!
What is the name of your state?

orchardhaha

This is a case between P and I. We had some issue in the past, but the debt should not be charged on me. I qualified for the waiver with solid evidence. It seems that P has sold the debt to the collection agency.

And was this a case where you cosigned for someone? Or is just plain some strangers debt?

LdiJ

This is a case between P and I. We had some issue in the past, but the debt should not be charged on me. I qualified for the waiver with solid evidence. It seems that P has sold the debt to the collection agency.
I am very sorry, but unless you explain the situation fully no one is going to be able to help you. You might want to get a consult with a local attorney if you feel more comfortable explaining the situation to them fully.

quincy

What is the name of your state? As LdiJ says, more information is needed on the debt for us to be able to assist you.

Here are some links to information on your rights under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and how to dispute a debt:

http://www.neweconomynyc.org/your-rights-under-the-fdcpa-disputing-the-debt/

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/dont-recognize-debt-heres-what-to-do

http://www.consumerfinance.gov/askcfpb/338/if-i-dispute-a-debt-that-is-being-collected-can-a-debt-collector-still-try-to-collect-debt-from-me.html

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">