• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how to settle a default judgment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lasttrace

What is the name of your state? NC

I have a default judgment against me in the state of GA (i'm from NC) for a credit card debt i entered into in the state where i live (NC) which i feel should be vacated because of wrong juristiction and venue.

However, i have questions:

If I wanted to settle this default judgment of $8000 buy voluteering to give them my fully paid for car worth $9000 (blue book value) then how would that work? And how should i proceed?

Also, lets say when they auction the car off they only get $5000 - per say $1000 for other fees associated to get it auctioned by the courts, which leaves the creditor only $4000; Am I still liable for an addtioinal $4000 because they didn't sale my car at full price of $9000?

Also, lets say they sale it for the full price of $9000, am i entitled to the $1000 left over after the judgment was paid?

Tayla

If what you are seeking is to pay the debt from the default. Its in your best interest to sell the car yourself, then write them a check or cashiers check for the full value of the debt. The plaintiff will need to notify the courts that you have satisfied the judgement. Get this all in writing and retain all communications on this matter.

L

lasttrace

Thank you for your response; so, basically i will still be liable for any amount not covered if they sell or auction my car?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">