• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is husband's debt, wife's debt?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gj122600

I am from Ohio. My husband co-signed for an automobile with his son (my stepson). His son is not making payments and now the loan company is calling my husband. I know that my husband is responsible for the debt since his son is not paying it. My question is if my husband dies, will the debt then be my responsibility?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

RRevak

I am from Ohio. My husband co-signed for an automobile with his son (my stepson). His son is not making payments and now the loan company is calling my husband. I know that my husband is responsible for the debt since his son is not paying it. My question is if my husband dies, will the debt then be my responsibility?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
The short answer is yes. Any debt that your husband has will then become yours in the event of his death.

But as I am not entirely certain as to the details, let some of the seniors who have a tad more experience in this area post for your final answer.

dfromnyli

Your spouses estate should pay off his debts. You just have to worry about joint debts. If your spouse does not have an estate you won't be responsible for his debts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">