• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I bought a high price item on Ebay while drunk, am I forced to pay?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FredRupert

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Wisconsin

I bought a high priced item on Ebay, while drunk one evening, am I forced to pay?

The seller is claiming we have a legally binding contact and he plans on suing me for damages if I don't pay.

Its my understanding you can't enter a legally binding contact if your impaired or intoxicated, does that hold true in my case?

TIA

Proserpina

Wisconsin

I bought a high priced item on Ebay, while drunk one evening, am I forced to pay?

The seller is claiming we have a legally binding contact and he plans on suing me for damages if I don't pay.

Its my understanding you can't enter a legally binding contact if your impaired or intoxicated, does that hold true in my case?

TIA

Enjoy your purchase.

Just Blue

Wisconsin

TIA
Don't drunk and buy. :rolleyes:

Eekamouse

Wisconsin

TIA
LMAO!!! You cannot be serious. How are you going to prove you were intoxicated when you made the purchase?

justalayman

what was the purchased item? There are a few categories on eBay that are specifically excluded from the auction creating a binding contract.

xylene

Negotiate. Politely, not in the form of a ranting entitled demand, beg that you were not clear headed at the time of the purchase and offer to pay a restocking fee that will allow the seller to cover his costs and a generous amount above that for the trouble you caused.

Sheriff10

LMAO!!! You cannot be serious. How are you going to prove you were intoxicated when you made the purchase?
I call BS with the OP's question. Nobody that is capable of turning on and using a computer would be idiot enough to ask that question.

quincy

Wisconsin

TIA
One thing you did not mention in your post, FredRupert, is your age.

We might assume you are of legal age, since you are drinking to the point of drunkenness, but minors are often stupid enough to drink illegally. And shopping while drunk seems a rather juvenile thing to do.

Are you a minor?

If you are a minor, and you opened your own eBay account for your purchase (and did not access your parents' account for the purchase), it is possible that the agreement you made with the owner of the "high priced item" is voidable. Minors in most cases do not have the legal capacity to contract.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">