• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I have a freeze on my bank account and it is driving me crazy!!!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Queen Coco Brow

What exactly is accurate and legal advice? Please tell me. I would really like to know. I have exempt monies that was frozen. That is illegal. I was not served. They refuse to give me an accurate amount of how much I owe because they keep telling me different things. I am going through hardship. All of these things are valid as far as I see. Again, I AM NOT TRYING TO NOT PAY MY DEBT. I TRIED TO MAKE AN AGREEMENT WITH THEM. The prior agreement I made, I was unemployed and could not keep up with the payments (entirely my fault). I was paying them via mail. Now, when I told them what I was able to do, I made it distinctively clear that it was okay for them to take the monthly installments of $100 monthly via my bank account. They wanted proof that I was getting a consistent flow of money coming in. I did that. Now, they want all of my money and then the $100 a month. This is ludicrous. There has got to be a way to get them to work on my terms. They got my attention. I am willing to do what I have to do. However, this is not what I am prepared to do!!!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I have exempt monies that was frozen. That is illegal.
It's not illegal if they don't know the money is exempt.
I was not served.
You don't know if you were served or not and can't be bothered to confirm.

All of these things are valid as far as I see.
But that doesn't make what they've done illegal.
Again, I AM NOT TRYING TO NOT PAY MY DEBT. I TRIED TO MAKE AN AGREEMENT WITH THEM.
Your word means nothing at this point.

However, this is not what I am prepared to do!!!
Tough - you had ample opportunity to keep your word in the past. Now they are playing hardball, as is their right.

Quit jerking them around - just file for bankruptcy and be done with it.

tanja53

Coming from someone who is in the same position and being sued six ways to Sunday.. this is real helpful. You can pay your bills too you know...:rolleyes:
You don't know me at all. And I am paying my bills. And I am wining my court thing since they did wrong.
And if you didn't know it there is a big unemployment in the USA.
For all you know I could be over 80 years old.

Zigner

You don't know me at all. And I am paying my bills. And I am wining my court thing since they did wrong.
And if you didn't know it there is a big unemployment in the USA.
For all you know I could be over 80 years old.
Which doesn't help our OP at all - your situation isn't even CLOSE to his :rolleyes:

tanja53

You know what, you can say what you want to say. Things happen. My situation isn't good and they are making it worse. I am not on welfare and I work very hard for my living. Neither am I accepting any benefits. I do everything on my own. When this debt started, I had all intentions to pay the bill. I just want my account unfrozen. If they do not, I WILL GO BANKRUPT AND THEY CAN FIGURE IT OUT. I'LL PREFER PAY THE GOVERNMENT THAN THESE *******S. Unless you are in my shoes, you have no right to down rate me. I do not live above my means. I never even had a credit card before. My rent takes up a lot of my stipend. Even if I was to get a second job, it will still be a problem. So please!!! I will get my money back one way or another.
Unless people have been in your position most of them will not understand.
Things happen in life that most of us don't plan.
It could be an accident, a divorce, unemployment, higher rent, illnes, just about anything.
And if that happenes your life changes. And then it doen't matter if you have good intentions. Most of us have.
And yes I do believe survival is more important than bills. If you can't eat you can't live. And if you can't live you can't do anything any way.
Sop keep up fighting . People are cold and ignorant. But what goes around comes around.

Queen Coco Brow

You know what. When they quit messing with me and leave me alone, then and only then I will quit jerking them around. Bankruptcy will be my last option. What?? You want to come to court with me and see the judge grant my account unfrozen. They were fully aware because when they asked me to send them a copy of my bank statement, it was on there and they knew it. The problem is, before I became aware of my rights, I didn't know. Just like I didn't know a lot of things that was my duty to know. Do you think that they are going to act in good faith and tell me? Oh yeah, sorry. Your money is exempt. We will unfreeze your account now. Sorry for the inconvenience. I don't think so. So please, cut this crap out already. You guys want to say this and that but you guys would not be even able to last one second in my shoes.

Last edited:

tanja53

Which doesn't help our OP at all - your situation isn't even CLOSE to his :rolleyes:
What do you know if this helps him/her at all. A kind word goes a long way.
It shows that people do understand . And agree what he/she is doing. A little of that and compassion for human kind goes a long way.
So let CP judge on his own if my words are helpful not you.

Zigner

You know what. When they quit messing with me and leave me alone, then and only then I will quit jerking them around. Bankruptcy will be my last option.
They aren't "messing with you". They aren't messing around at all. They already have a judgment.
YOU are the one who threatened bankruptcy. If you're not ready to follow through with that NOW, don't even bring it up.

As for Tanja - I wish there was a "pat-on-the-head" emoticon...

tanja53

They aren't "messing with you". They aren't messing around at all. They already have a judgment.
YOU are the one who threatened bankruptcy. If you're not ready to follow through with that NOW, don't even bring it up.

As for Tanja - I wish there was a "pat-on-the-head" emoticon...
As I said before the world is not cold but the people in it is.
You don't make angry oroffend me at all. I just feel sad for people that are cold and don't care.

CourtClerk

Don't throw this threat around lightly...
Why not, sounds like the OP's credit is already in the toilet. Can't get much worse can it? Oh wait... she'll have to pay the bankruptcy attorney, but she can't handle making payments so I guess we won't have to worry about that bankruptcy after all.

And to the OP.. having people extend credit to you goes far beyond a credit card (you probably didn't know that). Sprint extended you credit and you screwed them. You screwed someone else (at least 1 other time) because you can't remember if the papers you were being served were for Sprint or for something completely different. Uh yeah, us bill payers of America really feel sorry for you.

And Tanja: no, I had no idea the US had an unemployment problem. I've only been living here all my life. From your own threads you seem not to like the American justice system, you don't like the service methods the US uses, and now you don't like the unemployment rate. I think someone else suggested it in your own thread, but perhaps your native country has a 100% employment rate... you could always go back there.

Queen Coco Brow

Well, I will keep you guys posted. I will do what I have to do. You do not have to like. I will win. Anything you would like to say? I am dying to know!!!!

Debt Guy

Queen

No one has been able to add any ideas since my first post. I think that is because there are no more ideas.

I hate to see you file bankruptcy for a relatively small amount of money. But, go ahead and talk to a bankruptcy attorney -- most will give you a free consultation to see if it makes sense for you. Some attorneys will let you pay their fee in installments.

Or, call the local United Way. Ask if they have a legal referral service. Call the county bar association and ask for a referral to a pro bono attorney. Call nearby law schools and ask if they have a legal clinic. The United Way may also have a resource to help you with utilities and rent while you make this transition -- I am just not optimistic you are going to get funds released anytime soon.

I don't think that an attorney will be able to help you a lot. Once the judgment has been granted, the damage is done and is hard (not impossible) to undo. I have no way to know how much success you can have.

I am not an expert in the law of your state. My experience tells me that the only funds in a bank account that are exempt are those that came from a government source (social security, retirement, public assistance, etc). Money from general wages sitting in a bank account are hardly ever exempt.

Final thought. You need to stop that payroll direct deposit. Any new money going into the account is also frozen.

For DC -- I grant you dispensation on the Robert's Rules of Order. Just be sure you are on the straight and narrow on the second law of thermodynamics!

For Chien -- I'll check your Jeremiah reference. I may change it to Proverbs. I recall one verse about sleeping on your roof when your wife gripes.

I am becoming a frequent poster on another board infested with all sorts of nonsense about DV, limited C&D, never talk to a collector on the phone and such. It is not as vituperative as some of the alien visitors we occasionally see here. But I am constantly accused of being a collector when I refute an off-base post. I had one guy in particular who really got just out of control so I wrote that disclaimer just funnin' with him. Then I decided it had a rhythm I liked. Unfortunately, the sig cannot be longer than 500 characters -- I had some other stuff about commandments and amendments and international treaties and waterboarding and the Indian torture of being buried up to your head next to an anthill. Anyway, I had to leave some things out.

TigerD

I am not an expert in the law of your state. My experience tells me that the only funds in a bank account that are exempt are those that came from a government source (social security, retirement, public assistance, etc). Money from general wages sitting in a bank account are hardly ever exempt.
I'd add that once money from an exempt source is mingled with money form a non-exempt source -- it all becomes non-exempt.

For DC -- I grant you dispensation on the Robert's Rules of Order. Just be sure you are on the straight and narrow on the second law of thermodynamics!
It has been a long time since I took engineering courses, but I think the second law applies quite well to debt collection. Entropy and time are powerful forces.

DC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">