• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I need to know if collection attorney can sue both me and my spouse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Vlugo

i live in tennessee...my spouse and i broke our lease...i went to court and took responsibility and made arrangements with collection attorney to pay this. Now he is suing my spouse for the same thing..can he do this if I am already paying this off. I have been paying all payments are on time. i am paying as agreed. I need to know if he can do this

Last edited:

FlyingRon

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Don't use the PREVIEW button. The answer is they certainly can sue you both either together or individually. They may even prevail if you have responsibility for the debt.

justalayman

i live in tennessee...my spouse and i broke our lease...i went to court and took responsibility and made arrangements with collection attorney to pay this. Now he is suing my spouse for the same thing..can he do this if I am already paying this off. I have been paying all payments are on time. i am paying as agreed. I need to know if he can do this
the creditor can sue any and/or all debtors as any of the debtors are considered to be responsible for the entire debt. If you wish to make your agreement contingent upon them not suing your spouse I suggest you attempt to renegotiate your agreement. Otherwise there is nothing improper about what they are doing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">