• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I owe a former roommate money and he's out for blood - what to do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

teleri

I live in Washington state.

I owe a former roommate a sum of money not exceeding 2k. The initial agreement, between friends, was that I could move out-of-state into his house, and he would pay my portion of rent/utilities until I could pay him back (after finding a job). It was NEVER stipulated that the money had to be paid back by a certain time - in fact, due to the nature of our friendship at that time, I understood that I was to pay him back as soon as my finances allowed. It has been six months, and I have made SEVERAL payments totaling several hundred dollars towards this debt - therefore showing that I fully intend to pay it off. However, I do not make a lot of money (under 1k/month) and am often struggling financially. I made a reasonable effort to find more work, and have just started a new job after losing my last one (unemployed for 2 weeks - most of which was waiting on the background check for the new job). There is documentation of the money owed, as well as my payments, contained in a small notebook that I initialed regularly. I do not, and have never denied that I owe him this money, nor have I ever said anything to indicate that I don't intend to pay it back. The ONLY reason I have not repaid is because I do not have the money - I can barely pay my bills, let alone feed myself.

However, my roommate has it in his head that I set out to rip him off. Last week, he kicked me out of the house. I had 40 minutes to pack up my stuff. He held the remainder of my belongings hostage, and even tried to destroy some of them when I returned to pick them up. He threw water on my television after I told him that I was taking it with me - he wanted to "deliver" it to see where I lived. He did not allow me to take my bed frame - an item worth approximately $300. He told my boyfriend that he (my boyfriend) was "taking custody" of me, and that he needed all of my boyfriend's information. I am 19 years old and in no one's custody but my own. Although my roommate has made NO attempt to contact me - in fact, when I was trying to come get the rest of my things, he ignored every single call and message from me and I eventually had to speak to another roommate - however, he has been relentlessly harassing my boyfriend for information about me, and claiming to have been in contact with me. He continually asks where I am living, claiming that it is so he can serve me papers, but he also DEMANDS information that is not relevant to him. He has even gone to my work without me knowing, and asked my co-workers about me. I have not given him my address for two reasons - 1) I am technically homeless and do not currently have a permanent or even stable housing arrangement (you know, due to being kicked out with no prior notice or time to arrange housing), and 2) His behavior, coupled with his anger management issues, delusions, and history of getting physically violent with me all scream to me that to do so is not safe. Thus he has threatened to hire a private investigator to locate me. I may be wrong, but I think the price of a PI (and the attorney he's supposedly in contact with, and legal fees) will end up costing more money than I even owe him - which makes me think that, if he is serious, this is more of a personal vendetta against me than anything to do with money. I do not think that this person is mentally stable, based on my experiences living with him for six months.

I have a few questions:
1) What are his legal rights in this situation?
2) What is he not allowed to do? (I am mostly worried about him harassing my boyfriend and/or showing up at my work/where I'm staying)
3) What are MY legal rights in this situation - or in the event that the situation escalates?
4) Does my boyfriend have any legal obligation to cooperate with him?
5) Do I have any legal obligation to cooperate with him?
6) If we do end up in court, what will most likely happen? I do not have the money to give to him. Can he make me pay for his legal costs/attorney/PI in addition to the sum owed? Can I take off the value of my possessions that he ruined or refused to release to me?
7) If he is taking me to court, what kind and how much trouble am I actually in? What is the least and most that could happen?
8) Finally, what is the best course of action for me to take to ensure a good outcome? What mistakes have I made, what mistakes should I avoid making, and has he made any mistakes in my favor?

Thank you!

Proserpina

I live in Washington state.

I owe a former roommate a sum of money not exceeding 2k. The initial agreement, between friends, was that I could move out-of-state into his house, and he would pay my portion of rent/utilities until I could pay him back (after finding a job). It was NEVER stipulated that the money had to be paid back by a certain time - in fact, due to the nature of our friendship at that time, I understood that I was to pay him back as soon as my finances allowed. It has been six months, and I have made SEVERAL payments totaling several hundred dollars towards this debt - therefore showing that I fully intend to pay it off. However, I do not make a lot of money (under 1k/month) and am often struggling financially. I made a reasonable effort to find more work, and have just started a new job after losing my last one (unemployed for 2 weeks - most of which was waiting on the background check for the new job). There is documentation of the money owed, as well as my payments, contained in a small notebook that I initialed regularly. I do not, and have never denied that I owe him this money, nor have I ever said anything to indicate that I don't intend to pay it back. The ONLY reason I have not repaid is because I do not have the money - I can barely pay my bills, let alone feed myself.

However, my roommate has it in his head that I set out to rip him off. Last week, he kicked me out of the house. I had 40 minutes to pack up my stuff. He held the remainder of my belongings hostage, and even tried to destroy some of them when I returned to pick them up. He threw water on my television after I told him that I was taking it with me - he wanted to "deliver" it to see where I lived. He did not allow me to take my bed frame - an item worth approximately $300. He told my boyfriend that he (my boyfriend) was "taking custody" of me, and that he needed all of my boyfriend's information. I am 19 years old and in no one's custody but my own. Although my roommate has made NO attempt to contact me - in fact, when I was trying to come get the rest of my things, he ignored every single call and message from me and I eventually had to speak to another roommate - however, he has been relentlessly harassing my boyfriend for information about me, and claiming to have been in contact with me. He continually asks where I am living, claiming that it is so he can serve me papers, but he also DEMANDS information that is not relevant to him. He has even gone to my work without me knowing, and asked my co-workers about me. I have not given him my address for two reasons - 1) I am technically homeless and do not currently have a permanent or even stable housing arrangement (you know, due to being kicked out with no prior notice or time to arrange housing), and 2) His behavior, coupled with his anger management issues, delusions, and history of getting physically violent with me all scream to me that to do so is not safe. Thus he has threatened to hire a private investigator to locate me. I may be wrong, but I think the price of a PI (and the attorney he's supposedly in contact with, and legal fees) will end up costing more money than I even owe him - which makes me think that, if he is serious, this is more of a personal vendetta against me than anything to do with money. I do not think that this person is mentally stable, based on my experiences living with him for six months.

I have a few questions:
1) What are his legal rights in this situation?
2) What is he not allowed to do? (I am mostly worried about him harassing my boyfriend and/or showing up at my work/where I'm staying)
3) What are MY legal rights in this situation - or in the event that the situation escalates?
4) Does my boyfriend have any legal obligation to cooperate with him?
5) Do I have any legal obligation to cooperate with him?
6) If we do end up in court, what will most likely happen? I do not have the money to give to him. Can he make me pay for his legal costs/attorney/PI in addition to the sum owed? Can I take off the value of my possessions that he ruined or refused to release to me?
7) If he is taking me to court, what kind and how much trouble am I actually in? What is the least and most that could happen?
8) Finally, what is the best course of action for me to take to ensure a good outcome? What mistakes have I made, what mistakes should I avoid making, and has he made any mistakes in my favor?

Thank you!

He has evicted you ILLEGALLY.

Neither you nor your boyfriend has any obligation to cooperate - in fact, it's probably best that you don't. With that said, you do need to start reading a bit.

http://www.washingtonlawhelp.org/resource/your-rights-as-a-tenant-in-washington

http://www.tenantsunion.org/en/rights

You have rights! He has some, yes, but they DO NOT include keeping your belongings, holding them hostage and kicking you out illegally.

If you lose at court, the most that will happen is that you'll end up with a judgment against you. But you really need to assert your rights, too - if you do end up sued, you'll need to respond ... and counterclaim. Given that his actions are far, far worse than anything you have (or haven't) done, he'd be a prize lunatic for letting it actually go to court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">