• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Illegal Wage Garnishment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cncn78

What is the name of your state? NY

My paycheck was garnished 10% today, to pay for an old credit card debt/judgement. On the papers I received a few weeks ago from my Local Court, it stated that if my weekly wages were less than $154.50 (30 times the Federal Minimum Wage), that no garnishment can be made on my paycheck. My paycheck is below that amount, yet 10% was still taken off today. Who should I contact about this- the Court, my employer, the original creditor...?

Ladynred

Your employer should not have garnished if your pay was below the federally mandated limit.
You should take it up with them first. They should know the limits of the law, but they may not. In that case you need to contact the court clerk and appeal the garnishment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">