• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Illinois State Lottery debt collection issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ruth S.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois I was employed at a gas station as a mgr. for 11 yrs. the owner filed bankruptcy, and reopened under another name. As the owner lived in Fla. for about 6 mos. per year I was left to sign for different items including the lottery account for the new gas station. In the mean time the owner closed the new station in Dec. 2013. The lottery came in as usual and removed their machine and any unsold tickets, leaving an outstanding bill of $25,000.00, which I never understood how that could be, anyways after a while I recieved in the mail a letter from them stating that I was responsible for that bill. I contacted them immediatly letting them know that I was not the owner and had no financial interest or responsibility and was told that because I was a mgr. that I was. I found out too late that in the original letter there was a form to file for a hearing but in my horror of recieving this bill I didn't read the form and after talking back and forth with them they told me I had missed the time to request a hearing and that I must write a letter to the Judge, I did that and was turned down. Please help me

Dave1952

$25,000 is a lot of money, get a lawyer. You should contact the owner, as well, since this may be his debt.

single317dad

Read the following, paying particular attention to 1770.90:

http://www.illinoislottery.com/content/illinoislottery/en/home/About_Illinois_Lottery/Financial_Information/sales-expenses-transfers/admin-rules.html

If you fit their definition of "agent", then you may be responsible to them for some amount of unpaid settlement funds. If it turns out you are responsible, your recourse may be against the owner of the store. If he has himself under some type of bankruptcy protection, collection may be difficult.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">