• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I'm a judgment creditor w/ debtor's bank account info...How to collect?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

l_c

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA

I would prefer to attempt to collect w/o a lawyer. Won a judgment against my LL. He appealed and lost and it's been more than 30 days and no payment. We have his bank account info from a measly check he sent us before we took him to court that we never cashed. I believe we have to return to court to get a writ of execution to gain access to this bank account, is this correct? After getting that, what are the specifics of getting the actual money? Do I go down to his bank...?

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA

I would prefer to attempt to collect w/o a lawyer. Won a judgment against my LL. He appealed and lost and it's been more than 30 days and no payment. We have his bank account info from a measly check he sent us before we took him to court that we never cashed. I believe we have to return to court to get a writ of execution to gain access to this bank account, is this correct? After getting that, what are the specifics of getting the actual money? Do I go down to his bank...?
Yes, you return to court.

Here is a link with information: http://www.courts.wa.gov/newsinfo/resources/?fa=newsinfo_jury.display&folderID=brochure_scc&altMenu=smal&fileID=collect

Last edited:

l_c

Thank you. I have already paid the $20 fee for the Certification of Judgment already. Can you tell me which form on courts.wa.gov I am to file with the court to gain access to his bank account?
Also, the Certification of Judgment form says the unpaid amount is to bear interest at 12%. Would you happen to know if this is monthly or yearly...? That specific question is one the court clerk could probably answer for me, but just thought I'd ask since I'm here.

Ladyback1

Thank you. I have already paid the $20 fee for the Certification of Judgment already. Can you tell me which form on courts.wa.gov I am to file with the court to gain access to his bank account?
Also, the Certification of Judgment form says the unpaid amount is to bear interest at 12%. Would you happen to know if this is monthly or yearly...? That specific question is one the court clerk could probably answer for me, but just thought I'd ask since I'm here.
It should be per year/annually.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">