• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

impending disaster/auto loan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Alone & scared

What is the name of your state? I reside in MD.

Well I've read some of the other posts in regards to Defaulted Auto loans/
with garnishments attached, so now I'm rightfully scared as hell.

Anyhow hears my story.

1997 Entered into an agreement for a car loan [was living in GA at the time]
1998 Moved to Maryland, my life went to hell in a hand basket. The loan agency began to report late payments, numerous issues with car prevented me from keeping up with payment. I prevented repossession proceedings by catching up on payments, however that didn't last for long. A blown motor, and high rent for the MD area put me behind in my payments

I assumed since the last payment reported was in 1998 my SOL would have been up as of 2005.... However I saw the post about how GA loans can be renewed [damnit]....
Here's the thing. They filed a claim against me in NY District Court last month which is where I lived BEFORE I moved to Georgia. I assume they didnt have an updated address in Maryland, so they went by what was on the loan application

The only way I found out about the court doscuments is because my parents called me to tell me they recieved [were served] the documents. They [my parents] are not co-singers to the loan, so how could they have been served?

So I **never** recieved the court documents in the first place.
So what I need to know is are they going by GEORGIA code, or NY Code at this point.....

I will discuss this with my attorney, however I wanted to post it here first
to get some opinions.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">