• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Incomplete Debt Validation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

okiedokiesmokie

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

Hello,

I recently sent a request for Debt Validation to a collection agency. In my original letter sent, I requested the following information:

What the money you say I owe is for;
Explain and show me how you calculated what you say I owe;
Provide me with copies of any papers that show I agreed to pay what you say I owe;
Provide a verification or copy of any judgment if applicable;
Identify the original creditor;
Prove the Statute of Limitations has not expired on this account
Show me that you are licensed to collect in my state
Provide me with your license numbers and Registered Agent

I received a letter in the mail from the said collection agency with nothing but a Ledger Card. There is no verification of signatures, nor did they attach any of the other information that I requested. They basically sent me a detailed receipt of what THEY think I owe. In the letter, it also says "Please find the appropriate documentation that I requested", however, I don't feel that this is adequate to qualify as a validation of the said debt.

My question is this: if they don't send me everything I asked for, would this be considered an incomplete validation of the said debt?

Thanks for any advice.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

Hello,

I recently sent a request for Debt Validation to a collection agency. In my original letter sent, I requested the following information:

What the money you say I owe is for;
Explain and show me how you calculated what you say I owe;
Provide me with copies of any papers that show I agreed to pay what you say I owe;
Provide a verification or copy of any judgment if applicable;
Identify the original creditor;
Prove the Statute of Limitations has not expired on this account
Show me that you are licensed to collect in my state
Provide me with your license numbers and Registered Agent

I received a letter in the mail from the said collection agency with nothing but a Ledger Card. There is no verification of signatures, nor did they attach any of the other information that I requested. They basically sent me a detailed receipt of what THEY think I owe. In the letter, it also says "Please find the appropriate documentation that I requested", however, I don't feel that this is adequate to qualify as a validation of the said debt.

My question is this: if they don't send me everything I asked for, would this be considered an incomplete validation of the said debt?

Thanks for any advice.
The problem you have is that you don't understand what a debt validation is. The collection agency sent exactly what they were required to send. The other information is not required to be sent, by law.

tranquility

You got a LEDGER CARD! Wow. If the card had the name of the original creditor on it (or it was mentioned in the letter), that is almost assuredly going to be far more than any creditor would be required to send when verification is asked for. The other things you demanded are not legally required.

threetime

The OP didn't say this information was from the creditor, he said collection agency. Big difference. Creditor doesn't have to do debt validation.

Also, collection agency's are not legally required to validate the debt, but if they don't, they cannot continue to report that information. If they do, you can sue. Trust me on this one, been there, done that.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The OP didn't say this information was from the creditor, he said collection agency. Big difference. Creditor doesn't have to do debt validation.

Also, collection agency's are not legally required to validate the debt, but if they don't, they cannot continue to report that information. If they do, you can sue. Trust me on this one, been there, done that.
What are you smoking up in the AK?

threetime

Number one, mind your own business. My original comment is correct, he disagrees and makes a comment, I add my own.

Last edited by a moderator:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">