• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insane Hospital Charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajfarms1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
I recently had to go to emergency room for appendicitis. It was simple, not ruptured, no complications. I was never even given a room, basically outpatient surgery. When admitted I was never asked how I would pay and while I was there and when I was discharged, never did anyone come to discuss payment. Shortly after I gat a bill for over 22000 dollars. I called hospital admissions and asked what the charges would be for what I had done and they told me 4500 dollars. What can or should I do? I am considering legal action if anyone thinks I have cause for voiding this contract of adhesion. Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Ladyback1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
I recently had to go to emergency room for appendicitis. It was simple, not ruptured, no complications. I was never even given a room, basically outpatient surgery. When admitted I was never asked how I would pay and while I was there and when I was discharged, never did anyone come to discuss payment. Shortly after I gat a bill for over 22000 dollars. I called hospital admissions and asked what the charges would be for what I had done and they told me 4500 dollars. What can or should I do? I am considering legal action if anyone thinks I have cause for voiding this contract of adhesion. Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
$22K for an abdominal surgery sounds pretty reasonable.

ajfarms1

What's your case, other than your "insane cost" theory?
Why are they billing me 22000 when same circumstance through the ER, same path I took, a cash paying patient like myself only pays 4500? Had I been given the chance to pay I would have. My position as middle aged male with a premium credit score is probably why I was not offered the other option.

LdiJ

Why are they billing me 22000 when same circumstance through the ER, same path I took, a cash paying patient like myself only pays 4500? Had I been given the chance to pay I would have. My position as middle aged male with a premium credit score is probably why I was not offered the other option.
If you do not have insurance you may be able to negotiate the bill down. Generally I can get 40-50% knocked off as a self-pay.

ajkroy

You may not even have all of the bills yet. There will be bills for the surgeon, the anesthesiologist, the pathologist, and pre-op testing in addition to the hospital's bill. Be prepared. Normal post op care should be included in the cost of the surgery.

OP, yours is a textbook example of why people should have insurance.

My son had two bone marrow transplants, one at age 11 and one at 12. Both would have cost me north of $250K, but I didn't pay a dime because of my insurance.

One of the only good things I see about ACA is the deterrent penalty for people without insurance to pay (although statistics say that 90% of people without insurance will be exempted).

LdiJ

You may not even have all of the bills yet. There will be bills for the surgeon, the anesthesiologist, the pathologist, and pre-op testing in addition to the hospital's bill. Be prepared. Normal post op care should be included in the cost of the surgery.

OP, yours is a textbook example of why people should have insurance.

My son had two bone marrow transplants, one at age 11 and one at 12. Both would have cost me north of $250K, but I didn't pay a dime because of my insurance.

One of the only good things I see about ACA is the deterrent penalty for people without insurance to pay (although statistics say that 90% of people without insurance will be exempted).
I would say that its probably 99% of people in my age bracket. The rates under the exchange for people in my age bracket are so high that a single person would have to have income in the low six figures before they would meet the definition of "affordable" under the ACA...and that is for 70/30 coverage which is pitiful.

Think about it? Under the ACA silver plan today those 250k bone marrow transplants would only be 70% covered by the ACA. Could you have covered 75k of each of those procedures without ending up bankrupt?

I honestly was looking forward to the ACA thinking that I could get affordable coverage. Instead of it being better than I could have gotten prior to the ACA, it was infinitely worse. On top of that, I hear story after story of people who had reasonable coverage that is no longer available to them at a reasonable price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">