• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Institute releases diploma on an accounting error

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mwalmost

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Oklahoma

Parties involved:
Debtor: My Wife (Oklahoma), Creditor: The Institute (Colorado), Collector: Attorneys (Colorado)

Contract 47 month tuition. On the 31st month in October, a refund of 150 is applied for erroneous late charges on the fault of the institute. In November my wife makes a payment of 150 which is also refunded. Here is the emailed correspondence:

November 24 2013 my wife
"I was wondering if I could get a revised statement of how much is left in my account to pay as of 11/8/2013. I�m planning on using some tax return money to pay a big chunk at the beginning of next year and was wondering just how close I was to the end. I�ve been paying about $150/month which is a little over what my monthly payment is supposed to be so I was thinking I was ahead by a little bit.
I received my refund checks from the back late charges. I can�t thank you enough for taking care of that. Had I known my address and phone number were no longer current, that would have never been an issue. I think everything is up to speed now."

December 2 2013 accounting manager
"With your $800 payment on 11/7 and $150 payment on 11/8, you overpaid your account. Therefore, I sent you refund checks totaling $353.24, which you should have received as it was mailed Monday. You are paid in full."

December 2 2013 my wife
"Paid in full as no balance at all, or I�m paid up through November? If so, are my diplomas going to be in the mail soon?"

My wife didn't make a payment of 800, but my wife was focused on the refund checks and the paid in full phrase. We then received the transcripts and diploma from the Institute in the following week.

December 19 2013, Thursday 5 days before Christmas- accounting manager
"We just discovered today that we posted an $800 payment to your account that actually was a payment made by someone else. Therefore, we should not have sent you any refund checks and you still have a balance due. Please call me as soon as possible to make payment arrangements for the $800 you owe us.
I apologize for this error and appreciate your prompt attention to this matter. I will be in the office tomorrow, Friday, from 2 pm to 5:30 pm and hope to talk with you then.

No correspondence has been received or sent to the Institute until April 21, when we received a revised statement and a letter:

April 21 2014 accounting manager
"For several months, I sent you letters regarding your account and asked that you get in contact with me so we can make arrangements for you to pay something on your account. As of this date, I have not heard from you.
Unfortunately, if we do receive funds or hear from you by May 6, 2014 we will be sending your account to collections. Please call as soon as possible so we can get this taken care of"

The letters said to have been sent were not received. We still have yet to communicate with them as we have viewed this situation as their accounting error and their releasing of the diploma and transcripts as completion of my wife's contract. On July 18th a law office contacted my wife at work. The attorney made it passed the receptionist without identifying themselves. My wife fielded the call, was informed of the collectors identity, the recording of the call, the debt referred to them from the institute (creditor), and then requested a payment or a payment schedule be made. My wife explained the reception of her diploma and transcripts, and would not be able to make a payment. She then ended the call and returned to work.

Other students have had poor experiences with this institute's accounting accuracy. I want to contact the accreditation group above the school about this with the supporting scenarios of others. I feel that the accounting error, the "are you sure?" email, the "yes we're sure" response, and the rewarding of documents puts this one that the institute's loss. However my feelings may not be what is fair, but is it legal? Can they come after us? Can we not pay them?

Outside of that, here's what I look to achieve: not to pay the reinstated debt, to keep the transcripts and diploma, not to pay the collectors, not have court dates in Colorado, and move on with our lives.

Thanks for the read, and thanks the sticky posts from user debtcollector. His posts helped me here.

MW

I'mTheFather

Do you mind the ding on your credit score? Will it bother you to get calls from collectors?

If your wife had overpaid them by mistake, would you be okay with them keeping the money because it was her own mistake?

Yes, they can "come after" you.

mwalmost

Also, as stated in their tuition contract:

"Tuition in the amount of #### was paid prior to the signing of this enrollment agreement. 47 monthly payments of #### and 1 of #### are due on the first of each month. Monthly finance charges will accrue at the rate of 6% per annum and reflected in the monthly payment amount. If all monthly payments are made in a timely manner during the first fourteen months of the agreement, [Institute], may in its discretion, issue a COPY of the diploma and the transcripts to the student. [Institute] will issue the official diploma, certificates and transcripts upon completion of payments.

We have the copies and official documents. Does this satisfy the agreement if I have the official documents along with an email saying paid in full- though their error still existed?

"By signing this agreement, the student agrees to pay the [Institute], hereafter referred to as school, the totoal stated tuition and fees. The school agrees to provide the occupational training in accordance with the provisions [of their Catalog]. Payment of all monies due shall be in condition of continuing enrollment. Payments are due on the date indicate by this agreement. You will have a 15-day grace period for submitting payments. Any account delinquent on the 16th day past due will incur a $25.00 late fee per month. Upon satisfactory completion of all academic and skill requirements and when al financial obligations to the school have been met, the school will award 650 hours of Certification to the student. The student and school understand that this enrollment agreement, WHICH INCLUDES THE REFUND POLICY, may not be amended except in writing signed by both parties."

Once again, if the agreements reward is dealt, that would indicate the completion of the agreement. But is this legally satisfied?

mwalmost

Do you mind the ding on your credit score? Will it bother you to get calls from collectors?

If your wife had overpaid them by mistake, would you be okay with them keeping the money because it was her own mistake?

Yes, they can "come after" you.
The ding on score? Nope. Calls, Nope.

Wife hadn't overpaid, she was still paying it off, then the institute said paid in full. This "paid in full status" was due to institute's own accounting error, which we had asked them if they were sure. They've sent her her diploma and transcripts. Then they realized their error and want a re-do.

I understand we can still have a suit filed against us, but its a question of whether or not the debt is still valid.

Thanks for the late night reply,

MW

bdancer

They made an error. You did not make that $800 payment that caused the "overpayment refund" and releasing diploma and transcripts. Your wife should have realized she did not make an $800 payment and realized this was an error at the time. You can look for all the loopholes you want, but your wife owes the $800 and they will come after you for the money.

mwalmost

They made an error. You did not make that $800 payment that caused the "overpayment refund" and releasing diploma and transcripts. Your wife should have realized she did not make an $800 payment and realized this was an error at the time. You can look for all the loopholes you want, but your wife owes the $800 and they will come after you for the money.
Understood. Loopholes are great, but I can acknowledge when they are not feasible. Thank you for the feedback.

This would be my first interaction with a collector and an original creditor. The majority of this contract history was existent before my wife and I met. She is very frustrated and anxious about this matter and handles communication in a rather confrontational manner. I'm a little more cut and dry. Once again, thank you for your guidance and feedback to alleviate my ignorance in these matters.

So as their accounting error and rewarding of documents does not release us from the debt, time for the next step.Who should I contact next? There's time frames in play now, what is the recommended timeline going forward?

I think the collector as they appear to hold the debt now. They're charging another 2% apr from the previous balance and can file a suite.
Am I allowed to speak on behalf of my wife though I'm not on the contract? I feel further correspondence should be in writing with the receipt option at the post office. Should we call the collector to start a payment plan, or send the letter?

Any last hoorah for a loophole? Thanks again for the aid.

MW

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Understood. Loopholes are great, but I can acknowledge when they are not feasible. Thank you for the feedback.

This would be my first interaction with a collector and an original creditor. The majority of this contract history was existent before my wife and I met. She is very frustrated and anxious about this matter and handles communication in a rather confrontational manner. I'm a little more cut and dry. Once again, thank you for your guidance and feedback to alleviate my ignorance in these matters.

So as their accounting error and rewarding of documents does not release us from the debt, time for the next step.Who should I contact next? There's time frames in play now, what is the recommended timeline going forward?

I think the collector as they appear to hold the debt now. They're charging another 2% apr from the previous balance and can file a suite.
Am I allowed to speak on behalf of my wife though I'm not on the contract? I feel further correspondence should be in writing with the receipt option at the post office. Should we call the collector to start a payment plan, or send the letter?

MW
You don't get to contact anyone. YOUR WIFE is an adult and she should contact them to pay HER debt. She knew she owed the $800 and did nothing about it. She should pay this debt off.

mwalmost

You don't get to contact anyone. YOUR WIFE is an adult and she should contact them to pay HER debt. She knew she owed the $800 and did nothing about it. She should pay this debt off.
Thank you Ohiogirl for your time, go buckeyes!

It is time for some needed experience in the world's affairs and ownership of one's loose ends. We'll proceed with her leading the correspondence and paying off the debt. I'll consider this topic completed unless any guidance on the process is provided.

With appreciation,

MW

Heir7

If they are legally married, and if she agrees to it, he can speak on her behalf.

bdancer

MW
Dealing with the collection agency in writing is a good idea. A payment plan to a collection agency is a bad idea. Better to negotiate a lump sum settlement. Just make sure to get any settlement agreement with the collection agency in writing before you pay. Pay with a money order or cashier's check -- don't give collectors direct access to your bank account.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">