• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

insurance co. owes me money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

treeyuli24

What is the name of your state? North Carolina
My mom died and had an insurance policy be I don't know which company, how do I find out which one it is and how do I collect?

Debt Guy

Obviously you do not have a copy of the policy. I'm wondering how you know a policy exists.

Just some ideas.

1. Go through all Mom's paperwork looking for a policy.
2. Go through all Mom's old checkbooks looking for a canceled check where she paid an insurance premium. Perhaps even talk to Mom's bank about getting a list of all paid checks for the last couple of years.
3. Call the State Insurance Commissioner. Ask for a listing of all life insurance companies licensed to sell insurance in your state. Explain the problem and ask if they have any idea other than you writing letters to every company.
4. Hire a psychic.

If none of those work and no claim is filed, eventually the insurance company will turn over the proceeds of the policy to your state, most likely the State Treasurer. The Treasurer will annually produce a list of "unclaimed property". Monitor that list every year in hopes you will see your mom's name. Just be advised it takes anywhere from 5 to 10 years for the funds to escheat to the state.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">