• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

IRS Refund Interception

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tillmae

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Virginia

My son's girlfriend has had her refund intercepted due to defaulted student loan. She is a single Mom (1 child), works as a daycare teacher, with limited income. My son has been unemployed for approximately 5 months, so they are barely getting by. She was totally counting on this refund for rent, food, etc. She filed bankruptcy in 2008, and understood that the student loan could not be included. Is there anything she can do.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Last edited:

VeronicaLodge

nope. why hasn't your son worked in 5 months? not that that matters, just curious.

also, she may need to get a different job, day care jobs don't pay much.

Antigone*

I concur with Veronica.

In addition, this will continue to happen until her student loan comes out of default or gets paid off.

She can rehabilitate the loan and make payments. The interest is deductible and then her future refunds from the IRS won't be subject to interception.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">