• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Issuing check for settlement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Elapidae8

New Jersey.

About to pay off a judgement since a settlement was reached. Who is it customary to make the check payable to? The plaintiff? Their attorney? Or both?

LdiJ

New Jersey.

About to pay off a judgement since a settlement was reached. Who is it customary to make the check payable to? The plaintiff? Their attorney? Or both?
You were not given any instructions on the matter as part of the settlement agreement? If not, I would ask the plaintiff's attorney.

Elapidae8

You were not given any instructions on the matter as part of the settlement agreement? If not, I would ask the plaintiff's attorney.
Settlement was with the attorney.. Didn't specify, just to have it sent to that office.. I received the letter today I requested that would state the agree amount would settle the case. In the letter it states pending receipt of payment within 7 days.. The letter is dated the first, and office is closed today for the holiday. So I would get any info until Monday at the earliest.. Leaving me one day to get it there.. I don't know how serious of a deadline it is.. Was hopeful to get it out tomorrow..

LdiJ

Settlement was with the attorney.. Didn't specify, just to have it sent to that office.. I received the letter today I requested that would state the agree amount would settle the case. In the letter it states pending receipt of payment within 7 days.. The letter is dated the first, and office is closed today for the holiday. So I would get any info until Monday at the earliest.. Leaving me one day to get it there.. I don't know how serious of a deadline it is.. Was hopeful to get it out tomorrow..
If it was me, I would probably make it out to the plaintiff but send it to the attorney's office.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">