• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Joint Account-19k cc debt--husband left country--is wife stuck

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

debtfree

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY
Someone I know has a joint CC account with 19k of debt. The husband left the country
3 years ago--she has to go to the husbands relative to get the statements--as this is the address used by the CC company--she pays high interest--and the card is current--although she would like to do something bvetter--but the husband is not around to sign anything---like cosign a DMP agreement.
Does she have any other options?

seniorjudge

Double post warning

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY
Someone I know has a joint CC account with 19k of debt. The husband left the country
3 years ago--she has to go to the husbands relative to get the statements--as this is the address used by the CC company--she pays high interest--and the card is current--although she would like to do something bvetter--but the husband is not around to sign anything---like cosign a DMP agreement.
Does she have any other options?
https://forum.freeadvice.com/debt-collections-84/late-ask-how-debt-calculated-after-answering-complaint-434885.html

Keep all your questions in the first thread you started on this subject.

debtfree

I do not think you understand--she has the problem---and is the one paying the debt which her husband generated through use of there joint card. He is out of the country--
She cannot enroll in a DMP because she needs his signature... So, what other options may there be--and, there are always other options.

seniorjudge

I do not think you understand--she has the problem---and is the one paying the debt which her husband generated through use of there joint card. He is out of the country--
She cannot enroll in a DMP because she needs his signature... So, what other options may there be--and, there are always other options.
She can fall for any kind of scam she wants to with or without her husband.

My answers were correct.

TigerD

Debt management program.

In other words...scam.

OP take the money you'd pay one of these hucksters and apply it to your debt.
Yup. As a collector, I can tell you for a fact: The debtor loses payment options when I find out they are paying someone for a program like that.

Once you enter a debt management plan or a debt settlement program I know that bankruptcy is 12 to 18 months away. So, I want my money now. Let the other creditors get screwed. Balance in full with a max of six payments or the accounts goes to legal. No exceptions.

DC

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">