• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Judgement Creditor Notice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DaveR83

I live in Ohio and just received a notice that a judgement has been granted against me. I know that they can garnish wages, but what else can they go after? I don't have a checking account, my paychecks are deposited into my wife's bank account which is under her maiden name (my name is not on the account at all; not because of debt, we have had it set up this way for a long time). We do own a house, but it is solely under her name, it was purchased on her credit. The only asset I really have is my car, which is an old 2001 Pontiac that is only worth about $1000 if sold. The debt is approximately $2500. I got behind after I was laid off a couple of years ago and could never catch back up. I can't lose the car, because I need it to get to work. We also have 2 small children and another on the way. They have sent a form for me to possibly attend a hearing on May 26 to make my case for how much they may garnish, etc. Please help! Really need some advice on this one. I also want to make sure they can't touch my wife's personal assets.

Last edited:

single317dad

The following are exempt from garnishment:

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2329.66

As you can see, for example, they could place a lien or seize your vehicle, but your interest in that vehicle up to $3225 is exempt, so there's no value for the creditor in your $1000 vehicle. Similarly, even real estate that you own is exempted up to $125,000.

If that hearing on the 26th is "Proceedings in Aid of Execution", I don't think what you received was an invitation, rather a summons.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">