• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Judgement-Frozen Bank Account

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Chelle-B

What is the name of your state? PA

Without notification from my banking facility or the law firm who attained a judgement order, a hold was placed on my bank account. Is it a requirement that the facility must notifiy the account holder "myself" that judgement has been rendered and what steps are going to be taken? Should I not have been offered a copy of the Judgement order? Legally, how long can they freeze my account? Judgement was for a credit card that fell by the waist side through a bank that is no longer in existence but was taken over by the facility in which I do my banking with.

Ladynred

Without notification from my banking facility or the law firm who attained a judgement order
They are not required to notify you, they have a judgment against you. If they notified people, do you think people would leave money in bank accounts ??? Of course not..

Is it a requirement that the facility must notifiy the account holder "myself" that judgement has been rendered and what steps are going to be taken? S
It is not the bank's job to tell you you've been sued and lost, it is only their job to obey the court order to freeze your account and turnover the money in it to the court.

During the lawsuit process you should have received ample notice that you were being sued and when you lost there should have been further notices of the actions they were allowed to take to collect.

Should I not have been offered a copy of the Judgement order?
Not necessarily, but you should have gotten notification from the court that a judgment was rendered against you.
Legally, how long can they freeze my account?
Until you pay them or make some arrangements to. I'd have to look up PA law, but in some states the levy is only in effect for a set period of time. IN other states it can be there indefinitely.

Judgement was for a credit card that fell by the waist side through a bank that is no longer in existence but was taken over by the facility in which I do my banking with.
Just because the original bank was swallowed up doesn't mean the debt ceased to exist.
And when did you stop paying on that credit card ?? How long ago ?
When were you sued ?
Were you served with a Summons and Complaint ??

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">