• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Judgement past SOL has been sold and transferred??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Drakus

Georgia

Hey everyone!

About 8 years ago I received a default judgement for credit card debt in Georgia from Fredrick J Hannah and Associates. Fast forward till now and the SOL has expired (7 years), and the judgement has fallen off my credit report. I know in Georgia there is a period of 3 years in which the dormant judgement can be renewed. The law firm that was collecting the debt, and who was the plaintiff in the judgement has since been dissolved. Today I received a letter from a new law firm saying that they are taking over the judgement. So, my questions are...

Can a judgement that is past the SOL be sold to another law firm?

If so, can the new law firm renew the dormant judgement since they weren't the original plaintiff?

How should I handle this situation?

Any help is very appreciated!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Georgia

Hey everyone!

About 8 years ago I received a default judgement for credit card debt in Georgia from Fredrick J Hannah and Associates. Fast forward till now and the SOL has expired (7 years), and the judgement has fallen off my credit report. I know in Georgia there is a period of 3 years in which the dormant judgement can be renewed. The law firm that was collecting the debt, and who was the plaintiff in the judgement has since been dissolved. Today I received a letter from a new law firm saying that they are taking over the judgement. So, my questions are...

Can a judgement that is past the SOL be sold to another law firm?
Yes

If so, can the new law firm renew the dormant judgement since they weren't the original plaintiff?
Possibly

How should I handle this situation?
That's not something we can answer for you. You may wish to consult your own legal counsel.

justalayman

Have you considered...oh...maybe paying the judgment?

I would wait until you see if they renew the judgment but paying what you owe has always been a good way of handling such situations.

adjusterjack

Georgia

Hey everyone!

About 8 years ago I received a default judgement for credit card debt in Georgia from Fredrick J Hannah and Associates. Fast forward till now and the SOL has expired (7 years), and the judgement has fallen off my credit report. I know in Georgia there is a period of 3 years in which the dormant judgment can be renewed.
You're right. It's addressed 9-12-60 and 9-12-61:

http://law.justia.com/codes/georgia/2015/title-9/chapter-12/article-3/

You are free to ignore the letter if you like but I suggest that you check your lawsuit case file to determine if anything had been done to prevent dormancy.

If not, it's possible that the lawyer is waiting to see what kind of response the letter will get before going through the expense of officially reviving the judgment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">