• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Judgement/Property Lien

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MHSmith

Good afternoon & Happy New Year.

I am looking for some advice on an interesting situation I have just been made aware of.

Getting ready to sell my residence, so I did a credit report check, just to see what was on there, My score is 873, also I found a Judgement Against me from 2004 for $629.32 in the Circuit Court of Prince William County, VA & a Lien on my property preventing me from selling it.

Now the interesting part, the Plaintiff is Hecht's Department Store, (Closed in 2005), Attorney's Office (Wolpoff & Abramson) representing Hecht's merged with Mann & Bracken who declared bankruptcy in 2009.

The Macy Company bought out Hecht's, they have no knowledge of my account or any outstanding Debt. I can not contact either law Firm as they do not exist.

How to I get the Judgement satisfied & the Lien removed?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you...

LdiJ

Good afternoon & Happy New Year.

I am looking for some advice on an interesting situation I have just been made aware of.

Getting ready to sell my residence, so I did a credit report check, just to see what was on there, My score is 873, also I found a Judgement Against me from 2004 for $629.32 in the Circuit Court of Prince William County, VA & a Lien on my property preventing me from selling it.

Now the interesting part, the Plaintiff is Hecht's Department Store, (Closed in 2005), Attorney's Office (Wolpoff & Abramson) representing Hecht's merged with Mann & Bracken who declared bankruptcy in 2009.

The Macy Company bought out Hecht's, they have no knowledge of my account or any outstanding Debt. I can not contact either law Firm as they do not exist.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you...
What state are you in? What state was the judgment made in? Consult a real estate attorney about the possibility of getting the judgment released by the court by putting the money in question into an escrow account until such time as the owner of the judgment can be determined.

MHSmith

Thank you

What state are you in? What state was the judgment made in? Consult a real estate attorney about the possibility of getting the judgment released by the court by putting the money in question into an escrow account until such time as the owner of the judgment can be determined.
I am in Virginia, the issue is the Lawyer will be more expensive that paying off the Judgement, I want to settle it ASAP. Can I apply with the Court to hold the $629.32 to release the lien?

adjusterjack

You'll have to go to court and get a judge to issue an order saying that the judgment is either satisfied or uncollectible and issue a lien release that can be recorded to offset the recorded judgment lien.

Consult an attorney who is familiar with consumer debt and knows how to do this.

LdiJ

I am in Virginia, the issue is the Lawyer will be more expensive that paying off the Judgement, I want to settle it ASAP. Can I apply with the Court to hold the $629.32 to release the lien?
You could try, but you might fail and then not be able to sell your property. If the sale of the property is important, than an attorney might be a necessary investment.

MHSmith

Thank you

You'll have to go to court and get a judge to issue an order saying that the judgment is either satisfied or uncollectible and issue a lien release that can be recorded to offset the recorded judgment lien.

Consult an attorney who is familiar with consumer debt and knows how to do this.
Thank you...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">