• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Judgement/spouse accounts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

terry11961

Live in New York. I have a judgement against me for $16,000. Am trying to negotiate with the company but my question is this - since my husband and I maintain seperate checking accounts can they seize his bank account(s) like they did mine? He is also the custodian on an account for my minor step child - can they seize that account as well? They have a lein on my house - won't they get the money when I sell it? They are contacting my credit card issuers asking for application/banking/employment information so I assume they will attempt to garnish my wages. Why are they doing this if they have the lein on my house? Need basic advice about the spouse accounts asap!

Kanchazi

Why are they doing this if they have the lein on my house?

I would quess they dont want to wait till you sell your house, to get their money.

Betty

Since N Y is not a community property state, they cannot seize accts. in your husband's name only.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">