• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Judgement & Writ of Execution

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Carla Honeycutt

What is the name of your state? North Carolina
I went through a very nasty divorce in 1999 with lead to a foreclosure in 2000. I had three loans. The main loan/mortgage was on 1.7 acers and a house. I and the exhusband had put a modular home beside this home on the 1.7 acers and they thought they had first mortgage but instead they were 2nd mortgage. We rented the first house then lived in the new one. We had 4 acers my father gave me that we also morgaged to finish the concrete dig well etc.it came in as a third mortgage. When the forclosure happened we started with the first loan on the house and 1.7 acers. We did not know that since the bank held the first morgage on the land and first house, it affected the modular house loan because it was on the land held by the first mortgage and the third loan on the 4 acers was on it two. So the latter two were actually a second and third mortgage holders and it pretty much wipped out their debt unless we just wanted to pay it. Well now ever since 2002 the Investers Title Insurance Company (who never did their job by checking to see if the if the modular home was on it's on land with no first mortgage)...they are now tring to come after me for the money that they had to pay out ....$16,000.00 Back in 2002 they issued a judgement against me and I assume the exhusband for collection. I filled out the papers for the Write to have Exemptions Designated and I never heard anything. Now four years later it seems that a new law firm has the account and they have re-issued new papers and of course the amount is now $22,000.00 after interest and fees. They sent me the same papers about Exemptions. I filled them out and sent them back. Now I get a Writ of Execution in the mail. The only thing I have put in my name is my wore our 1995 Blazer and I listed it on the exemptions. I have remarried and I also have an old 1994 Nissan Truck in my name that my current husband drived. I also received an Order AsTo Ex Parte Motion For An Order In Aid of Execution and it appears that the judge would not submitt the motion . My question is this.....what exactly can they do....can they take our vehicles if they are in our name. What do I do?

JETX

In North Carolina, the following property is exempt from judgment seizure (anything NOT listed is NOT exempt):
North Carolina Post-Judgment Asset Exemptions

Homestead: Homestead real or personal property, including co-op, used as residence up to $10,000. Spouse may double. Up to $3,500 of unused portion of homestead may be applied to any property.

Pensions and Retirement Benefits: Funds exempt for firefighters and rescue squad workers, legislators, law enforcement officers, municipal city and county employees, teachers and state employees. IRA exemptions for conventional, Roth, SEP and SIMPLE plans, but subject to statutory liens and consensual liens.

Insurance: Fraternal society benefits. Employee group life policy or proceeds.

Miscellaneous: Business partnership property.

Personal Property: Animals, crops, musical instruments, books, clothing, furnishings, household goods up to $3,500; may add $750 per dependent, up to $3,000 total additional. Burial plot up to $10,000 in lieu of homestead. Health aids. Motor vehicle up to $1,500. Personal injury and wrongful death recoveries for person who supported you.

Public Benefits: Unemployment compensation. Workers compensation. AFDC. Special adult assistance. Aid to blind. Crime victim's compensation.

Tools of Trade: Tools and implements up to $750, if not purchased within 90 days of filing.

Wages: Earned but unpaid wages received 60 days before filing for bankruptcy, needed for support.

Wild Card: $3,500 less any amount claimed for homestead or burial exemption, for any property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">