• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord saying deposit is not enough to cover bills and damages

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sunloiya

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? UK

Hi, me and my flatmate are from hong kong studying in the uk, we rented a property and the tenancy has just ended. The landlord has our deposit and is now saying that the deposit is not enough to cover our bills and damages. I am currently living with my friend who is renting a property under her name only and does not have my name or any of my details on the contract. She asked for my forwarding address and I told her that me and my flatmate have both returned to Hong Kong so I can only provide an address in Hong Kong to her. If the landlord were to chase our outstanding monies through the court or debt collecting agency, will she be able to find me? If not, will she be able to chase the money through the address I sent her which is in Hong Kong?

Thank you very much.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? UK

Hi, me and my flatmate are from hong kong studying in the uk, we rented a property and the tenancy has just ended. The landlord has our deposit and is now saying that the deposit is not enough to cover our bills and damages. I am currently living with my friend who is renting a property under her name only and does not have my name or any of my details on the contract. She asked for my forwarding address and I told her that me and my flatmate have both returned to Hong Kong so I can only provide an address in Hong Kong to her. If the landlord were to chase our outstanding monies through the court or debt collecting agency, will she be able to find me? If not, will she be able to chase the money through the address I sent her which is in Hong Kong?

Thank you very much.
Sorry - this forum is for US law only.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">