• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

The law sure stands behind the suspect, what about the ones that they screwed over?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

karlaingram64

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Odessa, Texas
I let a young lady, in a verbal agreement , drive my pickup as long as she could make the insurance an pickup payments, is stopped back in Feb, making any effort to pay the payments, the insurance, several months earlier that that...now after many attempts to get my pickup back, the finance company is forced to repo, except this young lady has hid my pickup from me, this has been going on far to long for me, but the law, stands for her...no matter even if she did renig, I sent a certified letter, and then I was told the police would list it as stolen.....nothing, now the police say, they will do nothing...this is civil and I am screwed again, what can I do?

Proserpina

I let a young lady, in a verbal agreement , drive my pickup as long as she could make the insurance an pickup payments, is stopped back in Feb, making any effort to pay the payments, the insurance, several months earlier that that...now after many attempts to get my pickup back, the finance company is forced to repo, except this young lady has hid my pickup from me, this has been going on far to long for me, but the law, stands for her...no matter even if she did renig, I sent a certified letter, and then I was told the police would list it as stolen.....nothing, now the police say, they will do nothing...this is civil and I am screwed again, what can I do?

If the police won't act, you're limited to perhaps only Small Claims Court. But it gets worse; Texas does not allow creditors to garnish paychecks (which is generally the easiest way to get your money) and their exemptions are generous.

That's not to say you have no shot of collecting - just that your options are fairly limited.

Having said that, you are still the legal owner yes?

Silverplum

The problem is rooted in your verbal agreement and too much misplaced trust in the "young lady." The police can't act on a handshake deal: yours is a civil case unless you can gather enough proof and speak to the police convincingly. Bitter rants don't get you anywhere: haven't you noticed that?

single317dad

In the future, research applicable laws prior to making important decisions.

karlaingram64

Chaps my lips!!

Oh lord, this is exactly what I mean, only on a verbal agreement, this girl that is doing this to me because she has a grudge against me.
I have no money to file in the small claims department, the dang pickup is 22,000.00 and this chaps me....:mad: yes I am the legal owner, :D
she was my grandsons girlfriend and they had a baby, when he was not incarcerated, he paid the dang thing, because she has the baby girl, of course
I knew she needed a good ride, there is no fool like an old fool..she hasn't drove the pickup in a while, but I have investigated and the repo man found the pickup behind a locked gate
and before we could get the pickup from behind the gate, the winch, ran hid it again....

single317dad

Oh lord, this is exactly what I mean, only on a verbal agreement, this girl that is doing this to me because she has a grudge against me.
I have no money to file in the small claims department, the dang pickup is 22,000.00 and this chaps me....:mad: yes I am the legal owner, :D
she was my grandsons girlfriend and they had a baby, when he was not incarcerated, he paid the dang thing, because she has the baby girl, of course
I knew she needed a good ride, there is no fool like an old fool..she hasn't drove the pickup in a while, but I have investigated and the repo man found the pickup behind a locked gate
and before we could get the pickup from behind the gate, the winch, ran hid it again....
Things that have not changed:

Your granddaughter and her mother still need a reliable vehicle.

Things that have changed:

Your grandson no longer makes the agreed payments due to his incarceration.

Seems like at least some of your anger is misplaced.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
...but the OP has no problem violating his WRITTEN agreement with the entity financing his truck. Pot, meet kettle.

karlaingram64

Good Grief

I have read all the reply's, and call me ignorant or whatever? I am the only with my name on the loan papers, my grandson and I also had a verbal agreement which he did well with until things began to change, and I know my anger isn't misplaced, I can find it anytime ,when I think of how his girlfriend,Silvia has lied to me and then stole personal items from me, but because of the baby, I would continue to work with her. All she had to do is make payments, which she is capable of doing....until she decided she wanted someone/anyone in our family to take up the slack, which I did all the child care for she and it was free....I have spoken to the finance company several times, to keep them in the details of this whole ordeal, Silvia kept making promises to the finance company, to make payments giving dates and times which would just pass by and she would ignore the phone and not make payments, she would show up at my house in other vehicles and the pickup would be in hiding somewhere, and lord knows I confronted her enough, she would jump up grab the baby and out the door she would go...
just giving more details...
Thank You,
Karla

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I have read all the reply's, and call me ignorant or whatever? I am the only with my name on the loan papers, my grandson and I also had a verbal agreement which he did well with until things began to change, and I know my anger isn't misplaced, I can find it anytime ,when I think of how his girlfriend,Silvia has lied to me and then stole personal items from me, but because of the baby, I would continue to work with her. All she had to do is make payments, which she is capable of doing....until she decided she wanted someone/anyone in our family to take up the slack, which I did all the child care for she and it was free....I have spoken to the finance company several times, to keep them in the details of this whole ordeal, Silvia kept making promises to the finance company, to make payments giving dates and times which would just pass by and she would ignore the phone and not make payments, she would show up at my house in other vehicles and the pickup would be in hiding somewhere, and lord knows I confronted her enough, she would jump up grab the baby and out the door she would go...
Thank You,
Karla

Go back and read your contract and you will see why what you did violates your contract.

Proserpina

Thank You,
Karla

Why is Silvia having to speak with the finance company at all? You owe the finance company. Silvia does not. Silvia made no promise or contract with the finance company.

karlaingram64

my pickup,silvia

Finance company knew the situation, so they a asked permission to talk to her and I gave it, YES, I know who owes and who is legally responsible ME!!

latigo

So,"The law sure stands behind the suspect"?

How many of the 2 million plus presently incarcerated in the United States do you think might be in accord with that statement?

Interesting how that belief seems to only surface when a personal situation arises. A "personal situation" that you stupidly created and now expect someone else to resolve!

Last year 886 vehicle thefts were reported in your county of Ector and you expect the police to drop everything and concentrate on arresting the person to whom you handed over the keys?! Geez!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">