• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lawsuit by unknown debt collector

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bmorris2

Texas:

Yesterday I got advertisement from 2 attorneys wanting to represent me for a lawsuit some strange company filed against me. What!?! I haven't gotten any calls, collection or demand letters! Called the JP yes there's a lawsuit, haven't been served yet for about 2000. Third party bottom feeder who never contacted me. Found out what the debt was from looking at my credit report. Last payment made (from credit report, payment books and a check I never sent) was July 2012. So statute has run out, received no demand letter, and found out judge should have never taken suit (surety bond) however, I've been sued and have to answer!!! Any advice? Can't afford an attorney

adjusterjack

Texas:

Yesterday I got advertisement from 2 attorneys wanting to represent me for a lawsuit some strange company filed against me. What!?! I haven't gotten any calls, collection or demand letters! Called the JP yes there's a lawsuit, haven't been served yet for about 2000. Third party bottom feeder who never contacted me. Found out what the debt was from looking at my credit report. Last payment made (from credit report, payment books and a check I never sent) was July 2012. So statute has run out, received no demand letter, and found out judge should have never taken suit (surety bond) however, I've been sued and have to answer!!! Any advice? Can't afford an attorney
You aren't sued until you are served. Take a breath and relax.

Start by answering a few questions:

1 - What county?
2 - How much are you being sued for?
3 - Exact date the complaint was filed with the court?
4 - What court level? Small claims? Regular Civil?

First thing tomorrow go to the courthouse and get a copy of the complaint and ALL other documents in the case file.

Then come back for additional discussion.

quincy

Texas:

First I want to thank you for starting your own thread, bmorris2. This allows your legal concern to get the full attention it deserves. :)

Following are links, the first to small claims courts and information on how to answer a complaint filed against you (from Midland County), and the second to small claims information from the Texas Law Help Organization, and the third to Legal Assistance Organizations in Texas:

http://www.co.midland.tx.us/departments/jp/pct3/Forms/Small Claims Packet.pdf

http://texaslawhelp.org/issues/consumer/small-claims-court

https://www.sll.texas.gov/self-help/where-to-go-for-help/legal-assistance-organizations/

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">