• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Leading Edge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state?FL

Ok..I have never owned a credit card in my life. Fortunately, I was always taught that if you don't have the money to pay for something up front..It is probably more of a 'want' than a 'need', and if I didn't 'need' it then it was not worth the debt.

I am sure that you could imagine my surprise when I pulled my credit report in late November and I had a credit card on there that has been "charged off" from Cross Country Bank.

I disputed this with Equifax and the results came back in December that it was my account. :confused:

All of the sudden I am getting repeated calls from a collection agency called Leading Edge.

I returned their calls and tried to explain to them that this must be a mistake. That I have never owned a credit card. They read my SS# off..and I agreed that it was my SS#. They said, then it was my debt.

I researched this company on the internet and I have only seen derogatory comments...such as one complaint stated that this company called them 20 times in 24 hours. :eek: Another site stated that this company often goes after debts that are well past the Statute of Limitations.

I checked my CR and it states that the date of last activity was 12/2000. At this time I was living in SC. I discovered that the SOL on credit card debt in SC is 3 years (4 in FL).

I called Leading Edge back (after more of their numerous attempts at contacting me) Where they stated that a judgement has been placed on me in 12/2005 for this debt. They would not listen as I tried to explain once again that this debt was not mine, that I never owned a credit card. I finally mentioned the SoL on this..and immediately they started screaming at me. Stating that they would call me repeatedly 10-20 times every day until this debt is paid.

I am at loss as what I do now. Is there some way that I can report that this is a fraud? I have never even heard of Cross Country Bank. How do I deal with these people? How do I prove that even though it is my SS#..I never applied/accepted this CC?

Thanks for any advice.

Yes, it is true. I have considered changing my phone number. However, I don't think I should have to. I have done nothing wrong.

My concern is this 'judgement'. How would I go about finding out if it is real..or just a generic scare tactic they use to encourage the actual debtors to pay?

If this judgement is 'real', how do I go about having it dismissed on the fact that I never applied/accepted this CC? Can I even do this so late in the 'game'?

I would also like a written apology from Leading Edge....but I know it will never happen. :(

TigerD

StickyFingers said:
Yes, it is true. I have considered changing my phone number. However, I don't think I should have to. I have done nothing wrong.

My concern is this 'judgement'. How would I go about finding out if it is real..or just a generic scare tactic they use to encourage the actual debtors to pay?

If this judgement is 'real', how do I go about having it dismissed on the fact that I never applied/accepted this CC? Can I even do this so late in the 'game'?

I would also like a written apology from Leading Edge....but I know it will never happen. :(
Well, at least you are realistic about the apology.

Look, even though this "may" be a judgment, you are dealing with a CA. Follow SJ's standard answer for validation. He just posted it on a couple of other threads. Ironically, the FDCPA still applies to them as they are a collection agency attempting to collect a debt.

As for the SOL, when you left the state the SOL tolls, which means time stops accuring on it until you return to the state.
So you need to determine whether or not there is a judgment -- validation can go a long way in helping with that.
Then decide whether or not you want to hire an attorney to fight the judgment where it orginated.
If you don't want to hire an attorney, the judgment still has to be domesticated in your state before they can do anything with it. That gives you an opportunity to fight the judgment in your home state.

When dealing with a legal matter hiring an attorney is never a bad idea.

DC

Ladynred

Cross Country Bank is a major sub-prime lender and they have recently been slapped by the FTC for their reprehensible practices.

You should definitely demand validation and since this is probably a fraud or ID Theft issue you need report it as such to the credit bureaus. They will send you a fraud affidavit to fill out and return. You may have to fill out a police report too for ID theft.

You can find info about validation at www.creditinfocenter.com as well as sample letters. You should also read the FDCPA and learn what your rights are as well as the collector's limitations under the law.

Thanks for your replies and links.

I guess I have a lot of research to do. And yes, I have seen SeniorJudge's standard reply concerning this situation.

My heart goes out to anyone who has to deal with Leading Edge Recovery Solutions LLC. These people are unscrupulous!

I know now the importance of reviewing your credit report on a regular basis. If I had done this in the past...This would not be an issue.

I guess it boils down to...You live and you learn.

Sorry, I felt the need to answer further on the previous posts.

So you need to determine whether or not there is a judgment -- validation can go a long way in helping with that.
How so?...Please forgive my ignorance where this is concerned. They have already stated that it is my SS# and I agree..it is my SS# on this account.

How would validation benefit me? Don't they validate by SS#?

I have just pulled all 3 credit reports and there are no judgements (or public records acknowledged on my reports.)

When dealing with a legal matter hiring an attorney is never a bad idea.
I agree. I intend on retaining one for this matter if need be. I would just like to know how I confirm that there is a judgement as they claim there is.

Thanks for your reply.

Last edited:

stevenbrett

acenitobacter

The first thing you should do is request a copy of the original contract and see if your signature matches the one on the contract, and if it is in your handwriting or maybe someone you know. In response to your previous post on acinetobacter which is closed you seemed to have been given the runaround. There are 2 types of bacteria, gram - and gram +, a.bacter is a gram negative bacteria shaped like a rod and gram - bacterias are not as nasty as gram +. It didnt come from iran, A. bacter is a bacteria that lives in dirt, and if you look at dirt from anywhere on the earth you will find it thriving there. In vietnam and more recently in the m.east amputees seemed to give way to the germ maybe thats why they told you it came from there. It is a thermophile , which means it withstands high tempertures, and is 1 of the bacteria responsible in composing. It is also part of your gut flora responsible for digestion and even fighting off bad bacteria. Chances are you are swarming with a. bacter right now, but your immune system is able to keep it at bay, but if something happpens to you it will become a pathogen like almost all bacteria. when you die you are eaten by your gut flora. NICE. Actinobacter/ acinetobacter is the same treatment (doubt the can actually tell a differance} china is wher you want to go for treatment -they know more about this bacteria than any.

stevenbrett

acenitobacter

t might be easier just to pay off the debt a first-time issue from cc bank cant be more than a few hundred dollars .

stevenbrett

I did and so what

it dont matter to me, sorry it bothers you (get over it) thanks sticky hope he beat tha bug it does kill two outta ten infected

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">