• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Leary "law fim"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dee99gt

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Ohio

I received a call from 678-321-4017, that they were CES law firm and had to speak with me concerning a debt in 2009. I was told that my case was passed through to them because I wasn't a criminal and had nothing on my background, they wanted to help me. I asked for something in writing but the lady I talked to got really rude and told me they couldn't give me anything in writing and told me they would just process the case, good luck, and hung up on me. Somehow they called my aunt and then I was told to call them back. I'm assuming he didn't think my aunt knew about the conversation and she explained it to him, like he had no idea. I called back and she apologized for her actions. She said if it wasn't going to be settled them a warrant in Ohio would be issued for me and I would have no choice but to go to court. All I know is that it's for an overdraft fee from fifth third bank when I closed my account and then it turned into 1K but the law firm was able to get it down to 570. I asked why I never received anything in the mail, she had no answer. I've always updated my mailing address to where I live. Did I just get scammed? The only e-mail I received was a receipt that Alpha Premiere Investments charged my card for the debt. Still no idea on any of the specifics.

FlyingRon

Debt Collectors are the scum of the earth. They will lie and use whatever illegal tactics they can to extort some money out of you. A warrant is NOT going to be issued for you. Threatening criminal action is ILLEGAL in it's own right. API is one of the scummiest out there.

NEVER EVER EVER give personal information (especailly bank account numbers) to them. No matter what they say they are going to do, they'll drain whatever they can from you. Yeah, they were real impatient and urgent because your debt was about to go time barred and uncollectible anyhow. You were scammed a little, but frankly, you did owe this money. I'd be looking VERY CAREFULLY at your credit card bill for additional charges and protest immediately (contact by phone and follow it up with a letter by US MAIL with your credit card issuer) any additional charges.

Last edited by a moderator:

dee99gt

Debt Collectors are the scum of the earth. They will lie and use whatever illegal tactics they can to extort some money out of you. A warrant is NOT going to be issued for you. Threatening criminal action is ILLEGAL in it's own right. API is one of the scummiest out there.

NEVER EVER EVER give personal information (especailly bank account numbers) to them. No matter what they say they are going to do, they'll drain whatever they can from you. Yeah, they were real impatient and urgent because your debt was about to go time barred and uncollectible anyhow. You were scammed a little, but frankly, you did owe this money. I'd be looking VERY CAREFULLY at your credit card bill for additional charges and protest immediately (contact by phone and follow it up with a letter by US MAIL with your credit card issuer) any additional charges.
Interesting.. They read off to me "my car", which I told them I had never owned the car they said I drive. I stated that was my fathers and she told me how lucky I was for her to bring it up because they would be a warrant out under that car registration and my father would have been arrested.

I'm not disputing the fact I owed it. Like I mentioned I had no idea. I would have thought I would have received some type of papers in the mail. With my job I do move from time to time. I just wanted hard copied evidence.

I did give them my current address, because I do want something in hand about this. I'm a little nervous about all this.

Last edited by a moderator:

FlyingRon

The address they likely had. Did I understand you made a credit card payment to them? If it's the amount they wanted to collect this may be the end of it, but keep an eye on your card.

dee99gt

The address they likely had. Did I understand you made a credit card payment to them? If it's the amount they wanted to collect this may be the end of it, but keep an eye on your card.
Yeah, I did make the payment the wanted. I will be sure to keep an eye out. If something would happen and I notice other things what actions could I take?

single317dad

Dispute any payments you did not agree to with your card issuer, as Ron suggested.

Contact a local consumer credit attorney (NOT a "debt relief agency" or "credit counselor") if you feel you have been treated unfairly or illegally.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
Like I mentioned I had no idea. I would have thought I would have received some type of papers in the mail.
Are you saying that you had no idea you owed this debt? As far as you know, you left the account in good standing when it was closed? You never received any mail or phone calls from Fifth Third and the first you heard was when some "law firm" called, threatened you with things they can't do, refused to give you anything in writing, mentioned a car you've never owned, and demanded your credit card number so they could charge you $570.00.

Yeah, keep a VERY close eye on your accounts for a while. Right this minute go check your credit report (you get a free one once a year). Consider using a service for protection from unauthorized charges. Ask your credit card company if they offer a service where any charges over x amount must be verbally authorized by you, with a password. If you got scammed (and I think you did) you just gave your credit card to thieves. I don't want to make you sweat, but you need to be very vigilant about this and there are a lot of ways you can protect yourself.

Truly, not all debt collectors are scum. But I'm willing to bet the scummier they are, the less legitimate they are.

dee99gt

I still have never received anything in the mail from these guys. When I call back and ask for documentation, what exactly do I need to tell them? I feel like regardless if they are any type of collections or firm that they would send something in the mail...

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
So do they have attorneys in Ohio?

Look at this: http://www.callercomplaints.com/SearchResult.aspx?Phone=678-321-4017

Me thinks you have been scammed.

ETA: there is a Leary law firm in Georgia http://www.learylawoffice.com/ but look carefully at the phone number. A few other Leary attorneys exist but they don't seem to have that number. Yeah, you have been scammed.

Last edited:

dee99gt

Wouldn't you know it, that I just received a call over that exact same thing but with a didn't law firm. I don't know what to do. They say I owe $750. I have proof of the payment that I paid along with the fact my aunt was a witness, but the prior place wouldn't give me any type of paid off balance. What do I do?

Last edited:

LdiJ

Wouldn't you know it, that I just received a call over that exact same thing but with a didn't law firm. I don't know what to do. They say I owe $750. I have proof of the payment that I paid along with the fact my aunt was a witness, but the prior place wouldn't give me any type of paid off balance. What do I do?
Contact your credit card company and tell them that you got scammed and see if they will reverse the charge. You also might want to have them cancel the card and replace it with a new one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">