• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this legal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mommabear319

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida. I have a parent loan from Sallie Mae. I had been paying ahead. The monthly was only about $50 per month so I paid additional as often as I could. Something changed (a new law was passed I was told) and the amount doubled to $100.00 so I could not pay extra as often. Anyway, I fell behind. I ended up two months behind - or $200.00. Even though I paid the $100 for the current month, I remained two months behind and they were threatening collections. I called them to discuss my account and the rep offered to "back end" the $200.00 and rushed into a script for me to accept this offer. When she got to the part about "this may cause you to owe additional", I asked her to explain. Here is what she said - At the time, the balance on the loan was only $900.00. She said they could stop collections by taking the $200 outstanding and add it to the $900.00. This would ensure I did not end up in collections and would leave me paying $1100.00 instead. I told her I did not understand how they could add the $200.00 to the balance. If I were able to pay it, it would be deducted. It wasn't like I borrowed an additional $200. This did not seem legal to me. At the very least it would not have been a smart choice (in my opinion). I told them I did not agree and wanted to think about it and would call back if I decided on this option. She said she couldn't guarantee the offer would be available if I did not accept now. I hung up, did some serious cutting back and paid the outstanding amount before the end of the month and got the account current. Was what I was offered legal? If not, I'd like to report this to someone. Thank you for your time! :)

mommabear319

thank you. Still doesn't make sense to me or why anyone would agree to this option. No wonder some people can't get out of debt.

LdiJ

Did you expect them to just eat the 2 payments you missed?
That is not how I understood the OP. This is what I understood:

The balance on the loan is 900.00. If the OP paid the 200.00 past due the balance would be 700.00. The vender wants the OP to sign a contract for 1100.00. That would be a 100% penalty for being past due. However you look at it that is excessive.

TinkerBelleLuvr

That is not how I understood the OP. This is what I understood:

The balance on the loan is 900.00. If the OP paid the 200.00 past due the balance would be 700.00. The vender wants the OP to sign a contract for 1100.00. That would be a 100% penalty for being past due. However you look at it that is excessive.
That is how I understood it too.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">