• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal Dispute - Verizon Fios

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BenP

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Mass.

After obtaining my credit report, I noticed that my account for Verizon Fios had been sent for collections.

I closed my account sometime in 2014, since I was aware that Verizon Fios pre-bills and takes 90+ days to refund customer over payment I stopped my automatic payments from paying my final bill. Additionally, in January, 2014 I ordered a router for $99, which they were supposed to charge me 3 installments of $33 per month. After a lengthy period of time, I did not receive the router and contacted Verizon. A week later I received two routers. I contacted them again, notified them of the error and returned the second router, being as I only needed and ordered 1. I was subsequently & incorrectly billed for a period of time for 3 routers each at $33/month. I assume 1 for the router I never received, and 2 for the routers that I did receive, and then subsequently returned 1. I did contact Verzion to correct this error but shortly after canceled my account anyways. This was a very quick period, less than a month. Once I canceled my account, it is their policy to lock online access to billing, statements and payments so the only means to obtain that information is now to contact them directly. A month after I received a statement, the only statement from Verizon I have ever received, was one line item with the balance due but no details. Again, I still cannot confirm I received my credit for overbilling. I did contact Verizon after receiving the statement to notify them of this issue (locked account, overbilled routers & waiting to pay once I receive my last statement detailing my credits) and asked for the statement to be MAILED since they had locked my account after deactivation. I made this point VERY clear to their customer service that my account was locked/deactivated and needed a paper statement to be mailed to me. No more than 15 minutes after I hung up the phone, I received an email to log into my deactivated account to access the statement. I have it saved. I have received calls from Verizon and their contractors and made this very clear that I need my statements and I have not received them still.

Now I am trying to buy a house. I am applying for credit and I have been told by the mortgage broker this will be at least .25% tacked onto my interest rate. I have told Verizon and they refuse to budge until its paid. I have refused to pay until I receive documentation. Supposedly, they are in the mail. At this point, I have also disputed with all 3 bureaus. I will more than likely settle on a house and buy with a higher interest rate than I should. If I do buy, can I sue for damages? Anyone will to take on this case? I have researched and I see several related articles and it appears I do have a case.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It seems to me that this OP has cut off his nose to spite his face.

He should have paid the ~$300 to save his credit and then pursued a refund.

FlyingRon

Complaints to the FCC may help consumers in general, but they will not help an individual with their individual complaint.
That is an absolutely UNTRUE statement. You have no clue what you are talking about. Those consumer complaints (and I have done so with both wireless carriers and with VERIZON (pre-fios) Internet services) will get routed at Verizon to the legal office attached to the presidents office. It takes a while but you will get a call from them and that person will have the authority if there is definitely a fault on their side to cut through the crap and fix the problem. Of course, if you actually do owe them money or so, they're not going to roll over just to get the complaint dismissed, but they will talk to you about it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">