• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal Hold on Bank Account

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TigerD

What Happened said:
Since then I have run my credit reports a few times and this debt was never on there so I (mistakenly) thought that trouble was long behind me. For some reason not even the judgement showed up.
Only happens if the judgment is filed on the district level or with the county for a lien.

What Happened said:
Call me a conspiracy theorist but the timing of this seems all too coincidental.
What part? The part where you failed to pay a bill for more than 10 years, or the part where they decided it was time to act?

What Happened said:
My last payment per the OC was in '98. The CA went after and obviously received (after not serving me) a judgement in '03. Just before the 6yr SOL was up. They waited an add'l 2 1/2 yrs after the judgment to act on it. Between 7 & 8yrs total. Why wait if they have the judgement?
Because the interest you are paying is working it's magic. Maybe they decided you didn't have the assets to pay in full then.

What Happened said:
And the whole time no effort to contact me. They had the wrong address???
Why would they contact you -- they already had the judgment. It is your job to contact them. And still the interest keeps growing.

What Happened said:
Like I stated earlier their name is all over the court calendar. They know what they're doing. If they really wanted to get a hold of me all they had to do was actually read the address on any of the 3 CRA's reports. They have my correct address. The CA obviously knew enough to find my bank account but didn't know how to find my address???
They had a judgment -- why on earth would they tip you off?

What Happened said:
I also may be reading too much into this but the court clerk, immediately upon reading the plaintiff's name (I know because he kept his finger on where he was reading) asked me when was the first I knew of the debt, I responded "when they froze my account" shook his head like he already knew that answer and seemed a little annoyed by it. Before that moment he was pretty short with me. Afterwards he was very helpful with me in filling out the order to show cause.
Really? Helping you fill out the order to show cause? ... A little UPL there maybe...

What Happened said:
I know the only one who originally got me into this mess was me but I think the CA was at least a little deceptive in their tactics. Like I stated earlier, I paid up all of my other past due debts from that time and would have done so with this one.
But you didn't. What you would have done is moot because you had the opportunity and didn't.

DC

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">