• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal hold placed, debt retired, legal hold not being removed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

great_scott

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

After getting divorced, I owed my attorney $3k of the total $27k bill. I irresponsibly let this final $3k drag out and did not communicate with the attorney. He filed a motion for garnishment and a legal hold for just under $2k was placed on my bank account. Once I saw the hold, I called up the attorney and paid the debt. The hold was placed on June 10, I paid him on June 25.

Since the conversation I had with him on June 25 and retirement of the debt via credit card, he has completely ignored any communication with me and has not taken steps to remove the hold.

My question that I'm having trouble finding the answer to is this - is there a deadline for him to remove the hold by after receiving payment? If not , can anybody offer advice regarding how I can go about clearing this up myself? Thanks for reading and hopefully offering advice!

mike_bruns_99

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

After getting divorced, I owed my attorney $3k of the total $27k bill. I irresponsibly let this final $3k drag out and did not communicate with the attorney. He filed a motion for garnishment and a legal hold for just under $2k was placed on my bank account. Once I saw the hold, I called up the attorney and paid the debt. The hold was placed on June 10, I paid him on June 25.

Since the conversation I had with him on June 25 and retirement of the debt via credit card, he has completely ignored any communication with me and has not taken steps to remove the hold.

My question that I'm having trouble finding the answer to is this - is there a deadline for him to remove the hold by after receiving payment? If not , can anybody offer advice regarding how I can go about clearing this up myself? Thanks for reading and hopefully offering advice!
Just file a complaint with the local state bar. He'll respond quickly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">