• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lien on house & am on SSDI

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chevelle70ss

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York
Good Evening,
I bought a new car back in 2006 & in December of that year was hurt on the job. I was on compensation & was terminated so needless to say could not make the payments on the car. I am on SSDI & the bank put a lien on the house. I got a call tonight from a collection agency I'm not good when it comes to math so please bare with me. I now owe $20,000 but the person said that the bank would settle for $17,000 lump sum or $400. a month.
I am on SSDI & only make $1157 a month the house was my mothers but she passed away in April & I was the beneficiary since I'm a only child. I live a lone have no one but my dog. There is no way I can pay $400. a month & since I only have the house & a 95 Chevy van I can't come up with $17,000 The person was very nice & said they might take $12,000 lump sum I do not have this I live from month to month on what I get from SSDI I have no pensions & can just pay the bills with a little very little left over. I want to get rid of this I don't want to stiff them but what can I do.
I really don't even know what I'm asking here I'm just upset about this.
I guess what I would like to know is since I asked the person to call me back tomorrow what can I do about this? Should I call a lawyer like legal aid I mean this just keeps getting bigger what rights do I have being on SSDI?. As I told the person I did not want this to happen & the person saw someway that what I was saying is true I live month by month on $1157 paying all the bills & trying to get some food too.
Can anyone tell me what my options are I don't want to go through bankruptcy I just don't want that option. The person even said my credit was excellent up until this.
Thank you for any information you can give me cause I really don't know what I'm going to tell the person tomorrow I wanted to see what I could do as far as monthly payments but I know they will never go for that plus it will take me my life time to pay it.
Will,

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">