• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ma Bell sent me to collections & I was making payments?!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cocobunny

What is the name of your state? OH

I had a phone bill from one of the big "MA BELLS". It was over $200. My phone got cut off and they ended my service. I immediately began paying them around $50 each pay period. It is now down to $70. My pay day is coming up and I had plan to pay it off. Well I go to the mailbox today and they sent it to collections!:eek: The collection agency sent me a standard letter saying they would report it to the credit bureaus. (of which I greatly don't want! I just spent the last several years making sure I had stellar credit).

My question is why would Ma Bell do this if I was sending in regular payments to pay this off?:confused:
and
Will this go on my credit report? I have every intention of sending the money in, but I'm leary to send it in if its going to blow my credit up.
Is there some way to negotiate with Ma Bell about this not going on my CR or am I stuck at the mercy of the CA now?
Any answers would be helpful.

fjcook

If you negotioate to pay the balance off promptly the arrears will not be posted to you credit record. The contract you have with the phone company states that you will pay your balance off monthly, so yes, they do have the right to turn you over to the collection agency, unless you called them and set up a payment schedule with them that was mutually acceptable. Collection agencies will require a payment schedule and as long as you adhere to the agreement your credit record will not be affected. If the debt is already in collection, verify where the money should be sent. If the collection agency is awaiting payment and you send it to MaBell, the collection agency may not get notification and the debt coul be reported to the credit agencies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">