• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Maryland - Student Loans

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rob33

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Maryland.

I took out a loan from Sallie Mae (U.S.) in 2009 to go to a University in London, United Kingdom.

I signed one check that was sent to the school for $3,500 and used it to secure my enrollment.

I decided this was a bad idea only a week or two later and told the school I wanted to withdraw, they would issue a refund at this point, but they said that I had to do the processing AFTER the holiday because whoever I needed to talk to was on vacation.

I went back after the holiday like they said and was told that I was past the deadline for withdrawal and that they would not refund me.

I was obviously upset and felt like I had been misled.

Okay, so I have to pay back $3,500 no problem... However, they're saying I owe $6,000! (not $3000 in interest, but two separate loans)

I called every number possible, from Sallie Mae, to the government, to the loan collection agency handling the default (yes I defaulted due to this issue)

They do not have my signature or evidence that I owe this money aside from saying that I do.

Don't they need my signature or something?

Can I start a company and bill someone for $100 and then later tell them they owe me $1,000 without proof and legally garnish their wages or force them to pay it back without evidence that they owe me more than $100?

How does this work? I really don't want to pay $6000 for this, I didn't get any credits or education from that school and have nothing to show for it.

I've also tried contacting the school and they don't care, they just want their money and won't negotiate with me from my experience. Is there something I can do to persuade them or a way to speak to a person in charge who would have the authority and compassion to refund Sallie Mae?

Thank you,
Rob

anearthw

Rob, you took out a loan of $3500 and subsequently defaulted - without paying anything since? Surely you did not believe you were at a 0% interest rate for as long as you didn't pay? I have no idea why you think you would only owe the original amount after 5 years in default? I'm sorry you made such poor choices when you were a young student, but this isn't going to disappear.

Dave1952

Tell us what you've learned about the second loan. When was it borrowed? How much? Who got the check? Et c.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">