• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Massachusett: Help regarding Motion To Remove Default Judgement (Small Claims/Civil)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tb12

Massachusetts.

I was alerted a couple weeks ago that back in 2008/2009, I was served notice that I was being sued in 2 separate cases for credit card accounts that I had defaulted on; one of the cases was under $7k, so it is considered small claims in my state (Massachusetts), and the other case was over $7k, so it is considered civil.
The notice of hearing was served by a constable, by just dropping it off at my last known address. I had not lived at that address for quite some time, so I never had any knowledge of the initial hearings, which is the reason I defaulted on both cases.
After finding out about the default judgement entered against me, I filed motions to remove the defaults; The civil one was heard this past Monday, the small claims one is scheduled for tomorrow.
The judge denied my motion on Monday. I explained that I had not lived at the residence that was served for quite some time prior to the date the notice was served. The constable never served anyone, just dropped off the notice on the doorstep of the home. I was renting at the residence, and the home was foreclosed on about 1 year prior to the date of service. I presented a foreclosure deed as proof of the prior residence being foreclosed, and explained that I no longer lived there.
My questions are, is there any other docs I can present tomorrow, to straighten my case, or any Mass General Law I can reference, relating to default judgement removals for small claims?
Also - for the Motion to Remove on the Civil case -- can I file a motion to reconsider with the court, or can I appeal the judges decision?

Mass_Shyster

The Judges I know in Mass generally do not like default judgments BUT in the case of credit card, they generally want to know what defenses you have against the case before they'll remove an old default.

I've been successful removing defaults by showing that the person did not live where they were served (left at last and usual place of abode) AND that the defendant had a valid defense.

See Mass Rules of Civil Procedure 60(b)(6) "any other reason justifying relief from the operation of the judgment".

You can appeal or file a motion to reconsider, but it's really not a do it yourself project.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">