• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical Bill Debt...How Do I Know If I Still Owe?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ownage

Don't know what happened to the text

Hi,

Last year I had to have rabies shots because of an incident with a bat. I was 18 so I registered at the hospital under my name so they wouldn't be able to go after my parents for money. The shots cost over a whopping $8,000. I had no money to my name. They have special programs to pay for the vaccines when you can't afford them. I tried to get accepted by them and filled out forms and sent them in but they wanted my parents information which would have disqualified me even though they had nothing to do with the shots.

Long story short my medical debt with the hospital went to collections. I haven't heard from the collection agency in about a year. In fact, I don't think I've ever heard from them- only the hospital. I never gave the hospital my social security number, but I'm guessing the debt collectors can somehow get that regardless? I have no idea if they're still after me or not or if the debt was somehow dropped. I think they're probably just laying in wait. I want to open a bank account and get a job but I'm terrified the debt collectors will garnish my wages or drain my bank account. I want to get a free credit report to see what it says but I'm scared the debt collectors will be given my social security number if I do that or be alerted somehow. If I open a bank account will they tell me if I have an existing debt? I just don't know what to do but I'm so tired of having to worry about it.

Any helpful advice would be appreciated.

Thank you-

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
When I first saw the subject title my first thought was, Picking up the phone and asking if the bill is still outstanding comes to mind.

Proserpina

Hi,

Last year I had to have rabies shots because of an incident with a bat. I was 18 so I registered at the hospital under my name so they wouldn't be able to go after my parents for money. The shots cost over a whopping $8,000. I had no money to my name. They have special programs to pay for the vaccines when you can't afford them. I tried to get accepted by them and filled out forms and sent them in but they wanted my parents information which would have disqualified me even though they had nothing to do with the shots.

Long story short my medical debt with the hospital went to collections. I haven't heard from the collection agency in about a year. In fact, I don't think I've ever heard from them- only the hospital. I never gave the hospital my social security number, but I'm guessing the debt collectors can somehow get that regardless? I have no idea if they're still after me or not or if the debt was somehow dropped. I think they're probably just laying in wait. I want to open a bank account and get a job but I'm terrified the debt collectors will garnish my wages or drain my bank account. I want to get a free credit report to see what it says but I'm scared the debt collectors will be given my social security number if I do that or be alerted somehow. If I open a bank account will they tell me if I have an existing debt? I just don't know what to do but I'm so tired of having to worry about it.

Any helpful advice would be appreciated.

Thank you-

Have you considered discussing payment plans with the creditor?

They want their money. They're entitled to their money. The law is not on your side here at all.

commentator

Okay, this story stinks to high heaven. You were over 18, so you gave them your information only, not your parents. And they accepted all this...and gave you like a series of injections. Over some period of time, right, as rabies shots aren't a one time thing. Okay, so WHY were you not being carried by your parents insurance? Or are both you and your parents without health care coverage? You "didn't want them to go after your parents for money." Hogwash! If so, then why did you not apply for Medicaid for yourself to help you cover these expenses? Let's see, your parents income would have disqualified you for any sort of assistance. You just thought you'd go in and pretend to be anonymous and not include your family and not pay anything and nothing would ever come of it? Did you TELL your parents? You applied for some programs to help defray the cost of the medications but.....This is profoundly stupid!! I suspect your parents may be receiving bills on this. Or there's something weird going on about this. The hospital does not just merrily let $8000 worth of unpaid bills float around till you apply for more credit. Getting a free credit report doesn't alert anyone who wasn't already alerted. You've got to be smarter than this.

Last edited:

Sheriff10

Okay, this story stinks to high heaven. You were over 18, so you gave them your information only, not your parents. And they accepted all this...and gave you like a series of injections. Over some period of time, right, as rabies shots aren't a one time thing. Okay, so WHY were you not being carried by your parents insurance? Or are both you and your parents without health care coverage? You "didn't want them to go after your parents for money." Hogwash! If so, then why did you not apply for Medicaid for yourself to help you cover these expenses? Let's see, your parents income would have disqualified you for any sort of assistance. You just thought you'd go in and pretend to be anonymous and not include your family and not pay anything and nothing would ever come of it? Did you TELL your parents? You applied for some programs to help defray the cost of the medications but.....This is profoundly stupid!! I suspect your parents may be receiving bills on this. Or there's something weird going on about this. The hospital does not just merrily let $8000 worth of unpaid bills float around till you apply for more credit. Getting a free credit report doesn't alert anyone who wasn't already alerted. You've got to be smarter than this.
Agree 100%

If you initially went to the hospital and intentionally left your parents information off so "they wouldn't go after them", then this infers that you knew from the start that you would not pay. Set up a repayment plan. Man up son. There are too many deadbeats and not enough people that do everything they can to do the right thing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">