• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

medical bills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cindylouwho

What is the name of your state? Kentucky
I had unexpected surgery on 6-8-06, my total hospital bill was over $5,000. My health insurance paid a little over $3,000, leaving me a balance of $2,158. I sent a payment of $100 on 8-4-06, on 8-14-06 I received a statement deducting my payment and leaving my balance due to be paid in full on 8-25-06, if not able to pay in full, phone the patient account services to set up a payment agreement. Needless to say payment in full was not an option so I phoned the office for a payment plan. Turns out I have two other options, to pay with some type of medical credit card with interest rates plus prime rate interest and end up paying probably double the bill or pay $171.00 a month to be paid off in a year. Due to the fact that I am single and responsible for all my bills alone I can't afford to pay that much. I work full time but paychecks only go so for. After speaking with two different people at that office and at the local hospital where my surgery was performed, I was told this was the minimum payment. So, my question is, can they garnish my wages or take other action as long as I am making payments just not the amount they say I have to pay? Any advice or answers would be totally appreciated. THANKS**************

Ladynred

can they garnish my wages or take other action as long as I am making payments just not the amount they say I have to pay?
First, they cannot garnish anything without suing you first and getting a jdugment and you would definitely know that was happening. They most certainly can and likely WILL sue you if you do not make the payments as required. You can TRY to negotiate the bill down some, see if there are any programs you qualify for to reduce the amount. Medical providers simply will not wait forever to get paid and they are not obligated to accept anything less than what you agree to or owe in full.

Might be time to get a 2nd job.

chryder

A little more perspective, perhaps. If you are "low" income in some states, you may qualify to have them simply write-off the balance that your insurance did not cover. You need to contact them and tell provide substantiation of the particulars or your income/expense circumstances. Both university funded and private hospitals will often do this. They will in most cases check the information you supply with an inquiry to the various credit reporting agencies.

You have nothing to lose by contracting them and be straight forward about your financial circumstances and how that impacts you're ability to meet the uncovered portion of the hospital charges and how that in turn would affect your ability to meet your household and child support [if applicable] expenses.

chryder

lealea1005

hi cindylouwho.....I guess I have a couple of questions for you that would help me with any advice I might offer....

Do you have a large deductible?

What type of insurance do you have (HMO, PPO, self insured)?

Was the hospital in network with your insurance plan?

I know you said the surgery was "unexpected", but was it considered emergency surgery? It may make a difference in the way it's covered.

Were your surgeon's fees covered the same way the hospital bill?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">