• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical bills incurred as a minor, responsible party deceased

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rosalina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I recently checked my credit report and saw a debt from a collection agency who is billing me for a doctor's visit I had when I was 15 y/o. Also, I have been getting collections notices from other hospitalizations I had as a minor (16 and 17 y/o). I am 20 y/o now. I was covered under my father's insurance at the time, but he passed away last year. Here is what I need to clarify:

- Is there any way to dispute these debts since I was a minor when I received these services?
- Since my father passed away, do I automatically become responsible for the debts?
- If the agencies decide that I am not responsible for them, would the bills be passed on to my mother?

Thank you kindly for your help!

Last edited:

You Are Guilty

- Is there any way to dispute these debts since I was a minor when I received these services?
You can "dispute" any debt, but I don't think you'll get out of these on that basis. If the services were a "necessity" (i.e. you were sick and the doctor made you better, as opposed to say, a cosmetic procedure), then being a minor isn't a defense.
- Since my father passed away, do I automatically become responsible for the debts?
Possibly, since you were the one who received the services. There may be an out in all the insurance/doctor paperwork (but I doubt it).
- If the agencies decide that I am not responsible for them, would the bills be passed on to my mother?
If you were still a minor, sure, but you're an adult now, whether you like it or not :)

Have you tried calling your dad's insurance company to see why they didn't pay the bills you're now being charged for? That's the first step.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">