• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical Debt/SSI only income

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N Smith

Washington State..

I have a collection agency after me for medical bills, but I'm only recieving SSI. I'm worried that since I can't pay the debt that they can take my house (paid for) and maybe even sell some of my personal property inside the home. I'm also very concerened about garnishment of SSI? Can they do that? I don't knw what to do about this. Again, my house is payed for (inherited) but I live on a VERY small amount of SSI. If I lose my house I don't know what I'd do. All of my family has passed away and I'm alone to deal with this. What can or should I do? I have to respond to a letter I recieved today soon, within a week or so...Can they take my house? My belongings? Garnish my SSI? Any thoughts on this would be GREATLY appreciated. I'm worried. Thanks in advance.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

ecmst12

They can't garnish SSI. They can put a lein on your house. They may or may not attempt to force a sale, depending on the amount, and they may or may not be able to, depending on the homestead exemptions in your state.

BL

Just respond with the only income you have is SSI and is exempt from seizer .

Perhaps they will just drop it for now .

The creditor will most likely report the debt to the CRA's.

Were these bills not paid by Medicaid? If so you could talk to the medicaid office about this, some communities have waiver programs, etc.

N Smith

Were these bills not paid by Medicaid? If so you could talk to the medicaid office about this, some communities have waiver programs, etc.
I ended up in the emergency room, then in a health care facility, and didn't sign up for medicaid until I "landed" in the healthcare facility. It was a very sudden thing. So no, medicaid didn't cover the emergency room bills. To everyone who's responded to this I thank you very very much. I feel alone (and scared) on an island here. I have nobody left in my family and nowhere to go. This is pretty gut wrenching stuff to me...scary. Thanks again for your time.

Ozark_Sophist

You can also inquire about charity programs the hospital may have to help with expenses. Be sure to explain the timing of Medicaid benefits to them as well.

BL

Not sure about your State , but once approved for Medicaid , the State usually goes back a few ( 3 ) months to cover expenses . Check it out and any waivers you might be eligible for , and assistances others have mentioned .

Did you ask billing about billing Medicaid ?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">